On February 4, 2011, President Obama and Prime Minister Harper announced the United States-Canada joint declaration, Beyond the Border: A Shared Vision for Perimeter Security and Economic Competitiveness. Beyond the Border articulates a shared approach to security in which both countries work together to address threats within, at, and away from our borders, while expediting lawful trade and travel.
On December 7, 2011, President Obama and Prime Minister Harper released the Beyond the Border Action Plan, which sets out joint priorities and specific initiatives for achieving this vision.
On December 14, 2012, the White House released the first Beyond the Border Implementation Report, which summarizes the significant progress made in the year following the release of the Beyond the Border Action Plan. The governments of the United States and Canada have worked together in a concerted way to advance our shared interests in perimeter security and economic competitiveness, achieving results that will improve the lives of residents, visitors, and businesses in both our countries.
Beyond the Border Documents
- Beyond the Border Action Plan
- Beyond the Border Implementation Report (December 2012)
- Considerations for United States – Canada Border Traffic Disruption Management
- Compendium of U.S. – Canada Emergency Management Assistance Mechanisms
Provide Input on the Action Plan
Your input on innovative approaches to security and economic competitiveness will help guide the implementation of the Beyond the Border Action Plan and ensure its success.
Learn more about specific areas of the Beyond the Border Action Plan:
- Fact Sheet: BTB United States – Canada Law Enforcement Cooperation
- Fact Sheet: Pre-clearance Initiative Pilot Project on Import Re-inspection Activities for Fresh Meat (PDF, 2 pages - 86 KB)
- Fact Sheet: BTB Facilitating Travel at the United States - Canada Border
- Fact Sheet: BTB Key Questions and Answers
- Fact Sheet: BTB Pre-Inspection and Pre-Clearance
- Fact Sheet: BTB Statement of Privacy Principles
- Fact Sheet: BTB United States - Canada Economic Relationships
- Fact Sheet: Air Cargo Shipping Simplified Between Canada and the United States