The Integrated Rapid Visual Screening is a quick and simple tool designed to determine initial or relative risk and resilience for mass transit stations. The mass transit manual and software tool address heavy rail, light rail, commuter rail, trolleys, and buses. Assessment is based on features that can be observed during a rapid visual inspection. The knowledge for calculating both risk and resilience is embedded in the software tool. Interactions between various transit station attributes are accounted for using pre-assigned weights, interaction logic, and context-based algorithms founded on engineering knowledge and tool validations. Risk is based primarily in target attractiveness (for manmade hazards).
For natural hazards, the tool uses probability of occurrence. Risk is the product of consequences, threats and vulnerabilities. Resilience is computed as a combination of robustness, resourcefulness, and recovery factors using information such as hardening, training, and redundancies. Information obtained from the IRVS analysis can be used by law enforcement agencies, emergency managers, facility managers, engineers and architects to support higher-level assessments and mitigation measures.
IRVS Software Highlights:
The software for the IRVS family of tools is now digital and includes integrated capabilities for mass transit, tunnels, and buildings in one software package. This facilitates data collection and functions as an effective data management tool. Assessors can use the software on a PC tablet or laptop to systematically collect, store, and report screening data. The software can be used during all phases of the IRVS process (pre-field, field, and post-field).
- Digital catalogue and forms
- Field data collection and storage
- Automatic risk scoring
- Printable reports
- Google Earth application
- BIPS 02 - Integrated Rapid Visual Screening for Mass Transit Stations (PDF, 215 pages - 18 MB)
- Chapter 1: Overview: Page 1
- Chapter 2: Introduction to IRVS of Mass Transit Stations: Page 2
- Chapter 3: Conducting an IRVS of Mass Transit Stations: Page 3-
- Chapter 4: Completing the Data Collection Form: Page 4-1
- IRVS Software Database Package for those with no MS Access (ZIP, 258 MB)
- IRVS Software Database Package: MS Access 2010 (ZIP, 79 MB)
- IRVS Software Database Package: MS Access 2007 (ZIP, 79 MB)