The Department of Homeland Security and the Commercial Facilities Sector has partnered to provide guides about a wide array of topics and issue areas for use by private sector partners. Many of these guides are designed to assist owners and operators to better address facility risks through a comprehensive menu of risk mitigation options, while other guides provide a more detailed and focused analysis of risk mitigation in the context of a specific issue, such as influenza preparedness or evacuation procedures.
Evacuation Planning Guides for Stadiums and Major Events
Both the Public Assembly and Sports Leagues Subsectors realized a need for an evacuation guide that would assist stadium owners and operators with preparing an evacuation plan, and determining when and how to evacuate, shelter in place, or relocate stadium spectators and participants. As a result, two guides were developed: 1) the Evacuation Planning Guide for Stadiums and 2) the Mass Evacuation Planning Guide for Major Events: NASCAR Pilot.
The Evacuation Planning Guide for Stadiums includes a template that can be used to create a plan that will incorporate the unique policies and procedures of State and local governments, surrounding communities, and specific stadium characteristics.
- Evacuation Planning Guide for Stadiums (PDF, 77 pages - 393 KB)
- Mass Evacuation Planning Guide for Major Events: NASCAR Pilot (PDF, 52 pages - 325 KB)
- Mass Evacuation Planning Guide Appendices (PDF, 27 pages - 184 KB)
Protective Measures Guides
Designed to assist owners and operators in planning and managing security at their facilities. The protective measures guides provide an overview of threat, vulnerability, and protective measures, which offer suggestions for successful planning, organizing, coordinating, communicating, operating, and training activities that contribute to a safe environment for guests and employees.
Current guides include:
- Protective Measures Guide for U.S. Sports Leagues (FOUO)
- Protective Measures Guide for the U.S. Lodging Industry (FOUO)
- Protective Measures Guide for Mountain Resorts (FOUO)
- Protective Measures Guide for Outdoor Venues (FOUO)
In order to obtain these For Official Use Only (FOUO) designated documents, go to the Commercial Facilities site on the Homeland Security Information Network - Critical Sectors.
Pandemic Influenza Planning Materials
These pandemic influenza planning documents are for use by public assembly venue owners and operators to enhance pandemic operational response planning. The two guides provide key steps and activities for managers of public assembly venues to consider when operating their facility during a pandemic situation. These guides are used in connection with the Worksheet, which displays the stauts of operational activities that should be used by venues in response to the impact of the influenza on the venue and the surrounding area. A Checklist outlines the various activities that should be considered by public assembly venues when developing a pandemic response plan.
- Pandemic Influenza Preparedness, Response, and Recovery Guide (PDF, 84 pages - 2 MB)
- Pandemic Influenza Preparedness, Response, and Recovery Guide: Commercial Facilities Sector Annex (PDF, 11 pages - 1 MB)
- Pandemic Influenza Operational Review Worksheet (PDF, 6 pages - 101 KB)
- Business Pandemic Planning Checklist (PDF, 3 pages - 61 KB)