Some states have determined that they will have at least one trained Communications Unit Leader (COML) instructor in each of their State Homeland Security Regions. This approach allows COML training to be held regionally; minimizes travel expenses; and ensures that instructors have local knowledge of communications assets, policies, and practices. To support states in this goal, the Office of Emergency Communications (OEC) hosts a series of Train the Trainer courses that teach responders how to lead an All-Hazards COML course within their state or region.
COML instructor candidates must have the following prerequisites to attend the course:
- Completion of all COML class prerequisites (including ICS-300)
- Completion of an OEC-approved COML course
- Completion of a COML Task Book with appropriate signatures as required by the instructor candidate’s state
- Instructor qualifications as required by the instructor candidate’s state
The COML Train the Trainer course is available through the 2012 OEC Technical Assistance Catalog (PDF, 84 pages - 2.61 MB).
- All-Hazards COML Frequently Asked Questions (PDF, 4 pages – 321 KB)
- OEC Information Bulletin - All-Hazards Type III COML Training (PDF, 2 pages – 57.1 KB)
- COML Fact Sheet (PDF, 3 pages – 46.1 KB)
- All-Hazards ICS Communications Unit Leader Task Book (PDF, 15 pages – 354 KB)
- All-Hazards Communications Unit Leader Class Description (PDF, 4 pages – 86.2 KB)
Additional Communications Unit Courses
For additional information contact email@example.com