There are two senior agency positions dedicated to ensuring full and open competition as a part of the federal contracting process: Advocates for Competition and Task-Order and Delivery Order Ombudsman.
Advocates for Competition are responsible for:
- Promoting full and open competition;
- Promoting the acquisition of commercial items;
- Removing barriers to full and open competition such as unnecessarily restrictive statements of work, overly detailed specification and burdensome contract clauses.
Each federal agency and procuring activity will have a Advocate for Competition.
Task Order and Delivery Order Ombudsman are responsible for:
- Addressing contractor concerns regarding compliance with task/delivery order award procedures;
- Reviewing contractor complaints on task/delivery order contracts;
- Ensuring all contractors are afforded a fair opportunity to be considered for each task/delivery order, consistent with FAR 16.505(b); and
- When requested, maintaining strict confidentiality of the contractor requesting assistance.
The Task Order and Delivery Order Ombudsman may also be the agency’s Advocate for Competition.
Agency and Component Advocates for Competition and Task-Order and Delivery Order Ombudsman
Below lists the Advocates for Competition and Task-Order and Delivery Order Ombudsman for the Department of Homeland Security and our component agencies. Please note that both positions may be filled by a single individual.
Department Advocate for Competition
William Thoreen Director of Oversight and Strategic Support
Office of the Chief Procurement Officer
Procuring Activity Advocates for Competition (PAACS)
John Ziu, Director, Acquisition Management and Support Division
Office of Procurement Operations
Department of Homeland Security Office of Selective Acquisitions (OSA)
Carol Ulrich, Director of Policy and Advocate for Competition
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
Clifford Oliver, Director Acquisition Program and Planning Division
Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC)
Marcus L. Hill, Mission and Readiness Support Directorate vice Administration Directorate
Transportation Security Administration (TSA)
Richard D. Braendel II
Director, Policy and Oversight Division
Office of Acquisition
U.S. Coast Guard
Claire Grady, Deputy Assistant Commandant for Acquisition
U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Advocate for Competition
Patricia E. Larsen, Director, Strategic Improvement and Business Information
U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Advocate for Competition (ALT)
David Hansen, Associate Director, Strategic Improvement and Business Information
within Acquisition Program Management Office
CBP Task/Delivery Order Ombudsman
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Advocate for Competition
Cheri Tyner, Deputy Director, Office of Acquisition Management
U.S. Secret Service (USSS)
Pamela Corry, Component Acquisition Executive