The DHS Labor-Management Forum was established in 2010 to support cooperative and productive labor-management relations. The DHS Labor-Management Forum will:
- Develop a charter;
- Conduct a baseline assessment of the current state of labor relations within the Department of Homeland Security;
- Respond to inquiries and taskings from the National Council;
- Provide oversight to component labor-management committees; and
- Participate in other initiatives.
The DHS Labor-Management Forum complements the existing component-level committees and supports the development of new ones.
Authority that Established Federal Labor-Management Forums
In December 2009, President Obama signed Executive Order 13522, which created a National Council on Federal Labor-Management Relations to support agency partnerships and cross-agency learning for cooperative and productive labor-management relations. The Executive Order requires all executive-level agencies with employees represented by a labor organization to establish Labor-Management Forums.
Implementing the Executive Order and Labor-Management Forum at the Department
The Department developed a formal plan (PDF, 8 pages - 139 KB) on how the Department will implement the Executive Order and received certification and approval for this plan by the National Council on April 7, 2010. In this plan, Secretary Napolitano established the DHS Labor-Management Forum, which is chaired by Deputy Secretary Lute with membership from components with bargaining unit employees, the national presidents and Department of Homeland Security union representatives of the American Federation of Government Employees, National Treasury Employees Union, National Border Patrol Council and the Chief Human Capital Officer.
Read the Memorandum to Component Heads and Union Representatives (PDF, 2 pages - 331 KB)
- September 27, 2012, Meeting Minutes (PDF, 2 pagees - 37KB)
- June 5, 2012, Meeting Minutes (PDF, 2 pages - 31KB)
- February 8, 2012, Meeting Minutes (PDF, 2 pages – 30KB)
- November 29, 2011, Meeting Minutes (PDF, 2 pages – 33 KB)
- August 31, 2011, Meeting Minutes (PDF, 2 pages – 33 KB)
- May 11, 2011, Meeting Minutes (PDF, 2 pages – 46 KB)
- February 9, 2011, Meeting Minutes (PDF, 2 pages – 55 KB)
- November 4, 2010, Meeting Minutes (PDF, 2 pages – 123 KB)
- July 27, 2010, Meeting Minutes (PDF, 2 pages - 47 KB)
- June 3, 2010, Meeting Minutes (PDF, 2 pages - 43 KB)
Please direct any questions to Carmen Livoti at email@example.com or (202) 357-8175.