Top 5 FOIA Requests
- Alien File: Requests for any documents in the alien file should be sent to the USCIS FOIA officer.
- Contracts If you are seeking a copy of a contract, you must provide either a valid solicitation or contract number. These can be found at Federal Business Opportunities or the Federal Procurement Data System (FPDS). Requests with valid contract or solicitation numbers should be sent directly to the component administering the contract. If you do not know the component administering the contract, please contact the DHS Director, Disclosure & FOIA., for proper routing information. In addition to including the contract/solicitation number, please include the common title of the contract or service being provided by the contract.
- Disaster-Relief: Requests for National Flood Insurance Program Records and Disaster Relief should be sent to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
- Grants: Requests for Domestic Preparedness Grant records should be sent to (FEMA). For all other grants, submit requests to the DHS Director, Disclosure & FOIA.
- TRIP & No-Fly: – Request requirements and an optional request form are available on the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) FOIA page.
For more information on the following please contact the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE):
- Information pertaining to contracts at detainee facilities
- Statistics on people in particular detention & removal facilities
- Project “Return to sender”
- Inspection of detainee facilities
- Worksite enforcement statistics or projects
- Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) statistics
- Immigration & Customs Enforcement policies, handbooks and directives
Enforcement records should be requested from the ICE Freedom of Information Act Officer including the following:
- Records on aliens or detainees
- Information pertaining to human trafficking/smuggling
- Information pertaining to gangs
- Information pertaining to child pornography investigations, “Operation Predator”
- Information pertaining to arrest reports or other records pertaining to ICE investigations
Asylum Application Files:
- Applications by non-U.S. citizens seeking asylum in the U.S.: submit your request to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services FOIA Officer
Border Patrol Requests:
- Records regarding Border Patrol operations, activities, and interaction, submit your request to U.S. Customs & Border Protection.
- Immigration records related to your family history: submit your request to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Please provide as much identifying information as possible including timeframe of arrival, port of entry, alien registration number, complete name, birth date (and death date, if applicable) and location.
Travel and Border Crossing Documents: If you are requesting documents associated with traveling to or from the United States, secondary searches, or other travel related issues, you may need to submit your request to one or more of the following DHS components:
- US-VISIT – Information about the program and requesting US-VISIT records is available on the US-VISIT FOIA webpage .
- Transportation Security Administration (TSA) – Request requirements and an optional request form are available on the TSA FOIA webpage.
- Customs and Border Protection (CBP) – Request requirements and an optional request form are available from the CBP website.
Other Information Requests:
- ADVISE program: Under Secretary for Science & Technology (S&T)
- Department-level Contracting & Acquisitions Information: Under Secretary for Management Directorate
- Department of Homeland Security Headquarters and all other records, such as records pertaining to the Office of the Secretary (including the Deputy Secretary, Executive Secretary, Chief of Staff & Military Advisor): If you cannot determine where within the Department to send your request or if you are requesting records that would be maintained by DHS Headquarters, please submit requests to the DHS Director, Disclosure & FOIA.
- DHS Facilities Acquisition/Management/Inventory: Under Secretary for Management Directorate
- DHS Technology Research and Development: Under Secretary for Science & Technology (S&T)
- Environmental Compliance: Under Secretary for Management Directorate
- Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC) Information: FLETC personnel records and training information can be requested from FLETC (contact information). FLETC does not have an operational law enforcement mission. FLETC does not conduct criminal investigations, conduct police activities nor maintain records pertaining to these activities.
- Financial Audits and Statements and Budget Figures: Under Secretary for Management Directorate
- Health and Safety Programs: Under Secretary for Management Directorate
- Motor Pool/Fleet Management: Under Secretary for Management Directorate
- National Asset Database/Infrastructure Protection and Cyber Storm: Under Secretary for National Protection & Programs Directorate.
- Office of Inspector General Audit Reports, Reports of Investigation and Management Reports: Office of the Inspector General
- Personnel Policies/Management: Under Secretary for Management Directorate
- Records Management: Under Secretary for Management Directorate
- Records pertaining to Transportation Security: Requests pertaining to the No-Fly List, TWIC, DHS-TRIP, the number of prohibited items surrendered, statistics regarding lost/stolen/missing TSA uniforms/badges or contracts administered by TSA, should be submitted to the Transportation Security Administration.
- Requests for Proposals: Requests for Proposal (RFP) to provide contracted services to the DHS are posted on the Department’s Do Business with DHS website.
- Secret Service Videos: United States Secret Service.
- Security Policies/Programs/Standards: Under Secretary for Management Directorate
- Technology Policy Records: Under Secretary for Management Directorate
- White House Access Logs: United States Secret Service.