Almost a million times each day, U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) officers welcome international travelers into the U.S. In screening both foreign visitors and returning U.S. citizens, CBP uses a variety of techniques to assure that global tourism remains safe and strong.
Documentation is essential to ensuring a problem-free U.S. border crossing. Every traveler must take the initiative to determine which documents are needed for them to enter the United States via land, sea, or air based upon their citizenship or place of residence.
If you are a U.S. citizen traveling abroad, get the information you need to smoothly navigate your return back into the U.S., including:
- Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative
- Planning a Trip to Mexico from the United States
- Planning to Travel Abroad
- Customs Declaration Forms
- Bringing Food into the U.S.
- Automated Passport Control
- Mobile Passport Control Frequently Asked Questions
If you are a visitor to the U.S. coming to work, study, conduct business or immigrate, get the Information you need to smoothly navigate the process and procedures to enter the U.S., including:
- Transiting the United States
- Admission into the United States
- Admission Forms: Form I-192, Form I-212 and Form I-824
- Bringing Food into the United States
- I-94 Instructions
- Travel for Business or Pleasure
- Automated Passport Control (APC)
Be prepared and always have your documentation readily available for border security checkpoints. It will shorten your transit time and help CBP agents do their job efficiently.
Travelers should also know there are a range of Trusted Traveler Programs (Comparison Chart) available through U.S. Customs and Border Protection for the Western Hemisphere. These programs provide expedited travel for pre-approved, low risk travelers through dedicated lanes.
- NEXUS provides expedited travel via land, air or sea to approved members between the U.S. and Canada border.
- SENTRI provides expedited travel to approved members between the U.S. and Mexico border.
- FAST provides expedited travel to approved commercial truck drivers between the U.S and Canada and U.S. and Mexico borders.
- Global Entry provides expedited screening and processing for pre-screened International travelers entering the United States.