US flag signifying that this is a United States Federal Government website   Official website of the Department of Homeland Security

Homeland Security

File an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Complaint

If you – as an employee, applicant for employment, or former employee – believe you have been discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, physical or mental disability, protected genetic information, or reprisal for an EEO protected activity, and wish to pursue the EEO complaint process, you must first seek EEO counseling. Similarly, you must first seek EEO counseling if you wish to initiate a discrimination complaint based on sexual orientation, parental status, or protected genetic information.

Start Here

You must contact an EEO counselor at the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) component where the alleged discriminatory event occurred within 45 days from the date of the alleged discriminatory event, or the date you became aware of such discrimination. If you fail to contact an EEO counselor in this time frame, your complaint may be rejected as untimely.


For more information on how to file an EEO complaint at DHS, visit

Last Published Date: October 14, 2015

Was this page helpful?

Back to Top