What You Need to Know
U.S. law requires companies to employ only individuals who may legally work in the United States – either U.S. citizens, or foreign citizens who have the necessary authorization.
Self Check is a service of E-Verify. It is a free, Internet-based application that can be used by anyone in the U.S. over the age of 16 to confirm his or her employment eligibility. The service is available nationwide. After you enter a small amount of information, the Self Check service will check that information against various government databases to determine your work eligibility in the United States.
You can use Self Check to check your current employment eligibility status. If a problem exists with your employment eligibility records, Self Check tells you how to resolve that issue prior to taking a job.
- Visit www.dhs.gov/e-verify.
- On the right there is a Start Here column. Click the Self Check link.
- You will arrive on the Welcome to Self Check webpage.
- Click on the How to Use Self Check icon to see a step-by-step explanation of how to check your work authorization status.
- Click the Start Self Check button at the bottom of the page.
- Need more information on Work Authorization? Visit the Self Check Questions and Answers webpage
- Take time to read the Know Your Rights webpage
- Heard a rumor about SelfCheck? Visit the Facts & Myths page for clarification