- The 2009 National Infrastructure Protection Plan
- Sector-Specific Plans
- Subscribe to the NIPP Newsletter
- More on the National Infrastructure Protection Plan
- Training Courses
The 2009 National Infrastructure Protection Plan
The National Infrastructure Protection Plan (NIPP) provides a unifying framework that integrates a range of efforts designed to enhance the safety of our nation's critical infrastructure. The overarching goal of the NIPP is to build a safer, more secure, and more resilient America by preventing, deterring, neutralizing, or mitigating the effects of a terrorist attack or natural disaster, and to strengthen national preparedness, response, and recovery in the event of an emergency.
The NIPP was developed by critical infrastructure partners including federal departments and agencies, state and local government agencies, and private sector entities. First released in 2006, the revised NIPP integrates the concepts of resilience and protection, and broadens the focus of NIPP-related programs and activities to an all-hazards environment. The Department oversees NIPP management and implementation.
Read the 2009 National Infrastructure Protection Plan (PDF, 188 pages - 4.5 MB)
The NIPP assigns a federal agency, known as a Sector-Specific Agency (SSA), to lead a collaborative process for critical infrastructure protection within each of the 18 critical infrastructure sectors.
Each Sector-Specific Agency is responsible for developing and implementing a Sector-Specific Plan (SSP), which details the application of the NIPP framework to the unique characteristics and conditions of their sector.
Subscribe to the NIPP Newsletter
Published quarterly, NIPP News is produced by the National Protection and Programs Directorate's Office of Infrastructure Protection. NIPP partners submit articles or announcements, such as information about relevant activities and events and important news from the sectors.
More on the National Infrastructure Protection Plan
NIPP Overview (PDF, 2 pages - 432 KB)
NIPP Executive Summary (PDF, 11 pages - 1.17 MB)
NIPP Education and Awareness (PDF, 2 pages - 656 KB)
NIPP Information Sharing (PDF, 2 pages - 2.6 MB)
International Issues for Critical Infrastructure and Key Resources Protection (PDF, 2 pages - 1.3 MB)
National Critical Infrastructure and Key Resources Protection Annual Report (PDF, 2 pages - 1.3 MB)
- Resources for State and Local Partners
FEMA Independent Study Program Courses:
Course IS-860.a National Infrastructure Protection Plan - provides an introduction to the National Infrastructure Protection Plan.
- Course IS-821 Critical Infrastructure and Key Resources Support Annex - focuses on the integration of critical infrastructure protection as a key element of the nation’s unified approach to domestic incident management.
- Homeland Security Act of 2002
- National Strategy to Secure Cyberspace
- National Strategy for Physical Protection of Critical Infrastructure and Key Assets
- Homeland Security Presidential Directive 7: Critical Infrastructure Identification, Prioritization, and Protection