The Office of Risk Management and Analysis (RMA) works to enable and advance the effective management of risk by the homeland security enterprise.
- RMA Provides Risk Analysis
- RMA Enhances Risk Management Capabilities of Partners
- RMA Integrates Homeland Security Risk Management Approaches
Provides Risk Analysis
Combining cutting-edge risk analytic techniques with an understanding of the complex nature of homeland security hazards and systems, RMA provides risk and decision analysis to inform a range of prioritization, strategy and policy decisions.
- The Strategic National Risk Assessment (SNRA): Part of the Administration's effort to develop a National Preparedness System and identify core capabilities, in support of Presidential Policy Directive 8 (PPD-8).
- Risk Assessment Process for Informed Decision-making (RAPID): An all-hazards assessment of risk designed to provide information to Department leadership on homeland security risks, and the risk reduced by homeland security programs in support of policy and resource allocation decisions.
- Special Events Risk Methodology: An objective framework for determining the risk associated with Special Events used to inform decisions on the provision of federal support.
- National Level Risk Assessments: High-level assessments of the risks to national interests that will inform strategic-level homeland security decisions.
Enhances Risk Management Capabilities of Partners
As a thought leader for the Department on risk management, RMA advances the practice of risk management and its application to homeland security by providing tools, training and technical assistance to a variety of partners across the homeland security enterprise.
- Technical Assistance: Tailored analysis, methodological review, guidance and other technical assistance to support the ability of homeland security partners to analyze and manage risk in a consistent and defensible manner.
- Risk Management Training: A comprehensive learning and development plan designed to advance and integrate risk management training at the Department.
- Establishment and Fostering of Partnerships: Professional relationships with organizations and agencies across the homeland security enterprise, including international bodies, to promote collaboration and integration.
- Risk Knowledge Management System: A centralized information-sharing service to support risk analysis and risk management activities across the homeland security enterprise by archiving, curating, and sharing risk-related information, data and models.
Integrates Homeland Security Risk Management Approaches
RMA is leading the effort to establish a common framework for homeland security risk management, including developing policy, doctrine, guidance and governance.
- Integrated Risk Management Framework: The governance, doctrine, policy and processes for integrating risk management at the Department; includes the Integrated Risk Management Policy and Directive, the DHS Risk Lexicon, Risk Management Guidelines, and the Fundamentals for Risk Management.
- Risk Steering Committee Leadership and Support: The Department’s primary body for risk governance, providing a forum for all components and offices to discuss and advance the integration of risk management.
- Doctrine and Guidance: Risk Management Fundamentals is the first in a series of publications that will provide a structured approach for the distribution and employment of risk information and analysis efforts across the Department.