Proactive Security Measures Meet Dynamic Threat Environments
As representative symbols of U.S. strength and leadership, federal facilities have always been labeled as attractive and strategically important targets for terrorists. A potential attack on these facilities can result in substantial consequences. Due to the high profile and necessary access of these facilities, they operate within a very dynamic environment, requiring a constant flow and monitoring of reliable information regarding active threats to facilities and associated assets, systems, networks, and functions.
In an effort to avert or obstruct potential insider threats as part of terrorist operations and criminal activity in and around federal facilities, the Federal Protective Service (FPS) employs Operation Shield. Operation Shield systematically measures the effectiveness of FPS countermeasures. This includes the effectiveness of FPS’ Protective Security Officers in detecting the presence of unauthorized persons and potentially disruptive or dangerous activities.
Operation Shield is a comprehensive operation that combines physical security expertise and law enforcement authority into an enhanced security team to provide a visual deterrent at FPS-protected facilities. The goal of Operation Shield is to demonstrate the preparedness and agility of FPS’ response to the current threat environment within our federal community. Operation Shield includes the following objectives:
- Provide a highly visible law enforcement presence through patrol operations and increased coverage
- Enhance security posture intended to disrupt terrorist/criminal activity
- Maintain a friendly, productive, and helpful customer service-oriented relationship
- Target deployment based on current threat assessment or intelligence
- Reduce social and physical disorder
- Enhance the quality of life for employees, visitors, and community members