The DHS Science and Technology Directorate (S&T) is the primary research and development arm of the Department of Homeland Security and manages science and technology research, from development through transition, for the Department's operational components and first responders to protect the homeland.
Established by Congress to provide innovative solutions to the nation's homeland security challenges, S&T is the core source of scientific and engineering expertise for the Department and uniquely postured to enhance our nation's security and resiliency.
S&T's mission is to strengthen America’s security and resiliency by providing knowledge products and innovative technology solutions for the Homeland Security Enterprise (HSE).
OPERATIONALLY FOCUSED: S&T provides the Homeland Security Enterprise (HSE) with strategic and focused technology options and operational process enhancements.
INNOVATION: S&T seeks innovative, system-based solutions to complex homeland security problems.
PARTNERSHIPS: S&T has the technical depth and reach to discover, adapt and leverage technology solutions developed by federal agencies and laboratories, state, local and tribal governments, universities, and the private sector - across the United States and internationally.
Dr. Reginald Brothers was confirmed on April 7, 2014, as the Under Secretary for Science and Technology at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security where he serves as the science adviser to DHS and oversees the Department’s primary research and development arm and technical core.
- S&T is developing visionary goals to guide future R&D efforts and help us navigate the homeland security challenges ahead.
- S&T is organized into four core groups that work together to manage science and technology research to protect the homeland.
- S&T participates in and sponsors events and demonstrations to engage stakeholders, seek research partners, and communicate with the public.
- S&T press releases, reports on best practices and lessons learned, science articles, and other publications.
- 5-year guide to accomplish S&T’s strategic goals by providing knowledge products and innovative solutions.
- Chronicles S&T’s accomplishments.