Summer Research Team Program
Early career faculty and up to two students from Minority Serving Institutions (MSI) are selected as teams to participate in the program. The team conducts research at one of the twelve U.S. Department of Homeland Security Centers of Excellence and their partners for ten weeks during the summer. The program is designed to provide research opportunities to increase and enhance the scientific leadership at MSIs in research areas that support the mission and goals of the Department.
Various locations across the U.S.
Participants receive stipend payments for 10 weeks:
- $600 a week for rising and full-time graduate students
- $500 a week for full-time undergraduate students (rising juniors and seniors)
Science and Technology Directorate
To be considered you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be able to obtain and hold a security clearance
- Be at least 18 years of age at the start of the internship period
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale as of the application deadline
- Be available to participate full-time for the same period as the faculty team member
- Have coverage under a health insurance plan before arriving at the appointment site and maintenance of coverage during the appointment
- Be majoring in a science, technology, engineering, or mathematics field with interest in the Department’s research areas
- Be a full-time sophomore, junior, or graduate student enrolled in a U.S. accredited MSI college or university
Application Requirements and How to Apply
Follow instructions at the HS-STEM Summer Internship page.
Who to Contact for Additional Information
For more information on the Summer Research Team Program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with "Summer Research Program" in the subject line.
Last Published Date: February 25, 2013