Safeguarding Facilities and Civilians
The Federal Protective Service (FPS) is charged with protecting thousands of Federal facilities and safeguarding millions of Federal employees, contractors, and civilian visitors. FPS provides superior law enforcement and protective security services by leveraging intelligence and information from federal, state, local, tribal, territorial, and private sector partners.
Every day FPS protects the homeland by managing risk and ensuring continuity for one of the most crucial elements of our national critical infrastructure –our nation’s Federal Facilities and their occupants.
Protecting Critical Infrastructure
FPS ensures federal building protection by detecting, deterring, disrupting, and investigating threats using law enforcement authorities. We protect critical infrastructure and ensure government continuity through a risk management process based upon Interagency Security Committee standards and the National Infrastructure Protection Plan. FPS employs MegaCenter, a robust communications capability, which serves as our central point of communication and coordination among law enforcement personnel and provides for monitoring of security countermeasures.
Advancing Building Security
In financial year 2011, FPS has:
- Conducted over 2,000 criminal investigations
- Provided protective service presence at over 1,200 demonstrations and disturbances
- Made over 1,600 arrests
- Confiscated more than 700,000 dangerous weapons, objects and contraband
- Performed more than 13,000 K-9 sweeps for explosives
- Completed more than 35,000 background investigations
- Attended over 25,000 Facility Security Committee meetings
- Reviewed approximately 9,200 Occupant Emergency Plans