On February 4, 2011, President Obama and Prime Minister Harper announced the United States-Canada joint declaration, Beyond the Border: A Shared Vision for Perimeter Security and Economic Competitiveness. Beyond the Border articulates a shared approach to security in which both countries work together to address threats within, at, and away from our borders, while expediting lawful trade and travel.
On December 7, 2011, President Obama and Prime Minister Harper released the Beyond the Border Action Plan (PDF, 40 pages - 505 KB), which sets out joint priorities and specific initiatives for achieving this vision.
On May 19, 2015 the White House released the third annual Beyond the Border Implementation Report, which summarizes the significant progress made in the third year following the release of the Beyond the Border Action Plan, and includes new and enhanced measures intended to deepen and strengthen the unparalleled bilateral partnership. On December 19, 2013 and December 14, 2012, the White House released the second annual Beyond the Border Implementation Report and the first Beyond the Border Implementation Report respectively. The governments of the United States and Canada have worked together in a concerted way to advance our shared interests in perimeter security and economic competitiveness, achieving results that will improve the lives of residents, visitors, and businesses in both our countries.
Beyond the Border Documents
- Beyond the Border Action Plan
- 2014 Beyond the Border Implementation Report (PDF, 17 pages - 158 KB)
- 2013 Beyond the Border Implementation Report (PDF, 13 pages - 131 KB)
- 2012 Beyond the Border Implementation Report (PDF, 11 pages - 157 KB)
Provide Input on the Action Plan
Your input on innovative approaches to security and economic competitiveness will help guide the implementation of the Beyond the Border Action Plan and ensure its success.
Beyond the Border Outreach
- U.S.-Canada Binational Border Infrastructure Investment Plan - 2.0
- Beyond the Border Action Plan: Wood Packaging Material Inspections Feasibility Study
- Trusted Traders: Tier II Joint Stakeholder Report (PDF, 8 pages - 172 KB)
- Report on the Comparison and Review of the Importer Self-Assessment and Customs Self-Assessment Programs (PDF, 7 pages - 182 KB)
- Considerations for U.S. - Canada Border Traffic Disruption Management
- Compendium of U.S.-Canada Emergency Management Mechanisms
- U.S.-Canada Binational Border Infrastructure Investment Plan
- Entry/Exit Information System Phase 1 Joint Report (PDF, 9 pages - 222 KB)
- Facilitating the Conduct of Cross-Border Business
- Canada - U.S. Border Fees Inventory (PDF, 19 pages - 322 KB)
- Statement of Privacy Principles by the United States and Canada