In an effort to keep DHS.gov current, the archive contains outdated information that may not reflect current policy or programs.
“Reversing course is no way forward. Decriminalizing illegal entry, stopping the deportation of criminal aliens, resuming catch and release, returning to a broken asylum system, dismantling the wall, walking away from landmark international agreements, and putting foreign workers first in line for American jobs is not the way to secure the Homeland. These are not just bad policies, they are dangerous.” -Acting Secretary Chad Wolf
Today in Phoenix, Ariz., Acting Secretary Chad Wolf gave an address outlining the Trump Administration's immigration accomplishments and the Department's dedication to ensuring an immigration system that serves the American people.
Key quotes (from remarks as prepared):
- “Four years ago, President Trump was elected with a mandate from the American people: secure our borders, fix our broken immigration system, and keep Americans safe by upholding the rule of law. Because you and the American people have stood by us, we have not failed—and we never will.”
- “This Administration has not lost focus on what our immigration system should look like—one that is fair, legal, and protects American interests.”
- “A system that puts criminals, illegal aliens, and foreign nationals first and Americans last is simply wrong.”
- “The message to current and prospective illegal aliens and their enablers is that if you enter our country by breaking our laws, we will rapidly remove you. This law was passed by Congress decades ago, and we will execute faithfully the laws as written.”
- “Equally important to our national and economic security is our legal immigration system—the method in which aliens lawfully enter the US. From the beginning, this administration has had a laser focus on protecting the American worker.”
- “The Department will never turn its back on protecting American communities, property, lives, and the rule of law.
- “The Department will always have the backs of our law enforcement officers, hardworking patriots who protect honest, law-abiding Americans from violent criminals.”
- “Together, we will protect America from those who wish to destroy our cities, our communities, and our way of life.”
Quick facts from the remarks:
- The administration has completed almost 400 miles of the new border wall system in high priority locations.
- There are another 221 miles currently under construction and 157 miles in a pre-construction phase.
- Between 2017 and 2019, the Trump Administration removed from the United States more than 574,000 illegal aliens, including 16,000 gang members.
- As of September 19, 2020, ICE has removed over 182,000 aliens including 4,000 that were known or suspected gang members, many of which were in sanctuary jurisdictions.
- In the past four years, CBP has seized more than 4 million pounds of hard drugs like fentanyl, cocaine, and methamphetamine.
- This is almost double the annualized amount of hard drugs seized between 2009 and 2017.
- Under the Migrant Protection Protocols, more than 65,000 aliens have been returned to Mexico for the duration of their immigration proceedings.
- Immigration courts have already completed 67% of MPP cases with more than 520 individuals being granted some form of relief.
- This shows that the large majority of initial filings are unmeritorious.
- Under the CDC’s Title 42 order CBP is protecting public health by returning approximately 90% of individuals who would otherwise be kept in CBP facilities back to Mexico within 2 hours.