The Blue Lightning Initiative (BLI), a joint campaign of the United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and United States Department of Transportation (DOT), announced today the release of a new online training program to combat human trafficking in the aviation industry. The updated training educates aviation employees on how to recognize the indicators of human trafficking and how to appropriately report what they see. The training now includes specialized content for both large and small airport settings.
The new online training is a collaborative effort and was designed by:
- Incorporating feedback from partners across the federal government, including DOT, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and the DHS Center for Countering Human Trafficking (CCHT).
- Conferring with survivor consultants, who provided invaluable insights on the training content and scenario videos to help ensure the crime is accurately depicted.
- Expanding on existing collaboration with airport and aviation partners.
New BLI Counter-Human Trafficking Training Objectives:
- Expand BLI training to reach new partners in large and small airport settings.
- Improve BLI training through specific, scenario-based teaching.
- Enhance efforts to get critical counter-trafficking information to employees working in the air and on the ground.
About BLI and the Blue Campaign
BLI is an element of the DHS Blue Campaign, led by DOT and CBP. BLI trains aviation personnel to identify potential traffickers and human trafficking victims, and to report their tips to federal law enforcement. To date, BLI’s 88 partners have trained over 200,000 aviation industry personnel, and actionable tips continue to be reported to law enforcement. To learn more, visit the BLI website.
Blue Campaign is a national public awareness campaign designed to educate the public, law enforcement, and other industry partners to recognize the indicators of human trafficking, and how to appropriately respond to possible cases. Blue Campaign works closely with DHS Components to develop general awareness trainings, as well as specific educational resources to help reduce victimization within vulnerable populations. Blue Campaign is a member of CCHT, a cross-Department coordination center for countering sex trafficking and forced labor, including the importation of goods produced with forced labor. CCHT’s mission is to advance counter-human trafficking law enforcement operations, protect victims, and enhance prevention efforts by aligning DHS’s capabilities and expertise.
Do not at any time attempt to confront a suspected trafficker directly or alert a victim to your suspicions. Please call 1-866-347-2423 to report suspicious criminal activity to the Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) Tip Line or submit a tip online. In an immediate emergency, contact 911 or local authorities.