The Chemical Security Assessment Tool (CSAT) is an online portal to help the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) identify facilities that meet the criteria for high-risk chemical facilities under the Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards (CFATS). CSAT houses applications for the Top-Screen, Security Vulnerability Assessment (SVA), Personnel Surety Program, and Site Security Plan (SSP).
CSAT 2.0: Updated Online Applications
Unveiled in September 2006, CSAT 2.0 is the updated online platform that houses the surveys a chemical facility must submit to DHS.
CSAT 2.0 consists of the revised and streamlined Top-Screen, SVA, and SSP applications. The Information Collection Request for the revised applications was approved by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB).
CSAT 2.0 was released in conjunction with DHS's enhanced tiering methodology and improved integration between the SVA and the SSP applications. The new Top-Screen Instructions and SVA/SSP Instructions can be found in the CSAT portal. To learn more on the CSAT 2.0 updates to the SVA and SSP, please visit the CSAT SSP Revisions webpage.
Chemical facilities of interest are being notified by DHS to submit an updated Top-Screen. In preparation, facilities may want to:
- Check CSAT account. Log in to your CSAT account and select the “Update My Information” link to confirm that all information is correct and up-to-date. If you are unable to access your account, please contact the CFATS Help Desk at (866) 323-2957.
- Review the updated CSAT 2.0 user manuals. Become more familiar with CSAT 2.0 with the CSAT 2.0 Portal User Manual and the CSAT 2.0 Survey Application User Manual.
- Contact the CFATS Help Desk. Call (866) 323-2957 or find a CFATS Compliance Case Manager or your local Chemical Security Inspector by emailing CFATS@hq.dhs.gov.
- Learn more. Read the implementation notice published in the Federal Register. Find out more about the CFATS program by visiting the Chemical Security webpage.
- View the printer-friendly CFATS Tiering Methodology Fact Sheet.
CSAT 2.0 Demonstration Webinars
DHS has recorded three webinars that walk users through the revised CSAT tools:
- CSAT 2.0 Portal
- CSAT 2.0 Top-Screen
- CSAT 2.0 Security Vulnerability Assessment (SVA)/Site Specific Plan (SSP)
Please email CFATS@hq.dhs.gov with any questions or to request additional information on any of these CSAT 2.0 demonstrations.
Register to Access CSAT
CSAT is a secure web-based system that can be accessed only by Chemical-terrorism Vulnerability Information (CVI) certified individuals.
Facilities should register on the CSAT website for a user identification and password. The Department will validate a facility's registration and notify the facility on how to access CSAT.
After receiving access to CSAT, facilities are provided access to the Top-Screen. The information a facility submits in the Top-Screen will be used by the Department to determine if they are considered a high-risk chemical facility covered by CFATS.
If a facility is considered high-risk, the SVA and SSP surveys will unlock in their CSAT account. To learn more on the CSAT 2.0 updates to the SVA and SSP, please visit the CSAT SSP Revisions webpage.
Update CSAT Account Information
To ensure that a facility continues to receive CFATS and CSAT communications, the Department encourages individuals to log into CSAT and select the “Update My Information” link to confirm that all information is correct and up-to-date. This tool allows individuals to edit information entered during CSAT registration, and may be used to:
- Update personal information (address, phone number, etc.)
- Change password
- Transfer responsibilities to another CSAT user
If you have more than one username, please remember to update the information associated with each one.