On March 19, 2020, Vice President Mike Pence, head of the Coronavirus Taskforce, designated the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), a component of the Department of Homeland Security, to lead the federal response in combating the Coronavirus. The approach is locally executed, state managed, and federally supported. FEMA plays the central role in coordinating our federal support.
FEMA is working with the White House Coronavirus Task Force, Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), and state, local, tribal and territorial governments to execute a Whole-of-America response to fight the COVID-19 pandemic and protect the public.
All 50 states, the District of Columbia, five territories and four tribes are working directly with FEMA under the nationwide emergency declaration for COVID-19.
The federal government continues to take aggressive and proactive steps to address the COVID-19 threat as the health and safety of the American people remain a top priority.
FEMA Hard at Work
FEMA activated the National Response Coordination Center (NRCC) in the wake of the Coronavirus outbreak in the United States. The NRCC is a multi-agency center that coordinates the overall federal support for major incidents and emergencies. NRCC also provides a clearinghouse of resources and policies for local and state governments in impacted regions. The NRCC came online on March 19, 2020.
Over 3,000 FEMA employees have been deployed nationwide to support the state and local response of COVID-19.
As of May 18, FEMA, HHS, and the private sector combined have coordinated the delivery of or are currently shipping:
- 82.7 million N95 respirators
- 133.7 million surgical masks
- 11.6 million face shields
- 24.4 million surgical gowns
- 989.4 million gloves
- 10,663 ventilators
- 8,450 federal medical station beds
FEMA continues to play a supportive role for state and local governments. State governments continue to lead the response to address local situations with federal support.
"Project Air Bridge" for Medical Supplies
FEMA is expediting movement of critical supplies from the global market to medical distributors in various locations across the U.S. and continues to coordinate an air bridge for flights from Asia.
All supplies are national supplies and will be distributed to hot spots and through the vendors regular supply chain to locations across the country. Upon arrival, PPE is provided, in varying quantities, first to medical distributors in areas of greatest need; then, the remainder will be infused into the broader U.S. supply chain. Prioritization will be given to hospitals, health care facilities, and nursing homes around the country.
As of May 18, Project Airbridge has completed 151 flights with more than 68 scheduled or in transit.
Through Project Airbridge, the following supplies have been delivered from overseas manufacturers to the U.S. and into private sector supply chains from March 29 to May 18:
- Nearly 1.4 million N95 respirators
- 921 million gloves
- 97.4 million surgical masks
- 19 million surgical gowns
- More than 2.4 million thermometers
- More than 1.4 million face shields
- Nearly 392,000 coveralls
- 109,000 stethoscopes
- 370,000 oxygen masks
- More than 160,000 cannulas
Keeping Rumors Under Control
During emergency times, disinformation can be dangerous. Learn the truth and get the facts by verifying your source - use FEMA’s Rumor Control page to verify information.
- Coronavirus Rumor Control | FEMA.gov
Helping your Neighbors
During difficult times, the American spirit truly shines. Americans are coming together to help their friends and neighbors, and FEMA has developed trusted ways for you to stay up to date on how to do your part.
- Coronavirus: How to Help | FEMA.gov
As of April 20, 2020, FEMA has authorized 56 Federal Disaster Declarations for states and territories.
- About the Disaster Declaration Process | FEMA.gov
Press Releases & Fact Sheets
- May 22, 2020: FEMA Releases Latest State-by-State COVID-19 Data | FEMA.gov
- May 20, 2020: FEMA Announces Operational Guidance for the 2020 Hurricane Season | FEMA.gov
- May 19, 2020: Executive Order on Regulatory Relief to Support Economic Recovery | Whitehouse.gov
- May 18, 2020: Fact Sheet: COVID-19 Pandemic: Supply Chain Expansion Line of Effort | FEMA.gov
- May 15, 2020: FEMA Releases State-by-State PPE Data | FEMA.gov
- May 15, 2020: New Members of the White House Coronavirus Task Force Announced | Whitehouse.gov
- May 14, 2020: Fact Sheet: President Donald J. Trump Is Ensuring We Have the Strong National Stockpile and Industrial Base Needed to Meet Any Challenge | Whitehouse.gov
- May 14, 2020: EO on Delegating Authority Under the DPA to the CEO of the U.S. International Development Finance Corporation to Respond to the COVID-19 Outbreak | Whitehouse.gov
- May 13, 2020: Fact Sheet: President Donald J. Trump Is Committed to Providing Support to Underserved Communities Impacted by the Coronavirus Pandemic | Whitehouse.gov
- May 12, 2020: Fact Sheet: Exercise Starter Kit for Workshop on Reconstituting Operations | FEMA.gov
- May 12, 2020: Fact Sheet: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic: Alternate Care Site (ACS) “Warm Sites” | FEMA.gov
- May 11, 2020: Fact Sheet: The United States Has Built the World’s Leading Coronavirus Testing System | Whitehouse.gov
- May 9, 2020: Guidance: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic: Medical Care Costs Eligible for Public Assistance | FEMA.gov
- May 8, 2020: Memo on Providing Continued Federal Support for Governors’ Use of the National Guard to Respondto COVID-19 and to Facilitate Economic Recovery | Whitehouse.gov
- May 5, 2020: Fact Sheet: Federal Support to Expand National Testing Capabilities | FEMA.gov
- May 4, 2020: FEMA Announces Supplemental Funding Through CARES Act | FEMA.gov
- May 2, 2020: FEMA Administrator Approves 30 States for Crisis Counseling | FEMA.gov
- May 2, 2020: Fact Sheet: Coronavirus Pandemic Response: PPE Packages for Nursing Homes | FEMA.gov
- May 2, 2020: Fact Sheet: FEMA Administrator Authority to Approve Crisis Counseling during Coronavirus | FEMA.gov
- April 30, 2020: Joint DHS/EOIR Statement on MPP Rescheduling
- April 30, 2020: Personal Protective Equipment for Medicare and Medicaid Nursing Homes | FEMA.gov
- April 30, 2020: Fact Sheet: Using the Critical Care Decontamination System(TM) | FEMA.gov
- April 30, 2020: Guidance: DHS and HHS Civil Rights Stakeholder Teleconference RE COVID-19 | FEMA.gov
- April 30, 2020: Guidance: Planning Considerations for Organizations in Reconstituting Operations During the COVID-19 Pandemic | FEMA.gov
- April 28, 2020: Distribution of Cloth Facial Coverings | FEMA.gov
- April 28, 2020: Joint Statement from DHS and VA on Continued Collaboration Throughout COVID-19 Pandemic
- April 28, 2020: Executive Order on Delegating Authority Under the DPA with Respect to Food Supply Chain Resources During the National Emergency Caused by the Outbreak of COVID-19 | Whitehouse.gov
- April 28, 2020: Fact Sheet: President Donald J. Trump is Taking Action to Ensure the Safety of Our Nation’s Food Supply Chain | Whitehouse.gov
- April 28, 2020: Memorandum on Providing Continued Federal Support for Governors’ Use of the National Guard to Respond to COVID-19 and to Facilitate Economic Recovery | Whitehouse.gov
- April 27, 2020: Fact Sheet: President Donald J. Trump is Ensuring States have the Testing Capacity Needed to Safely Open Up America Again | Whitehouse.gov
- April 25, 2020: FEMA Awards Crisis Counseling Assistance Grants | FEMA.gov
- April 25, 2020: FEMA Administrator Discusses Whole-of-America COVID-19 Response | FEMA.gov
- April 24, 2020: Fact Sheet: President Donald J. Trump Remains Committed to Providing Critical Relief for American Small Businesses, Workers, and Healthcare Providers | Whitehouse.gov
- April 23, 2020: FEMA Publishes Documents to Preserve Scarce Medical Supplies | FEMA.gov
- April 23, 2020: FEMA Makes Additional $100 Million Available to Firefighters for COVID-19 Response | FEMA.gov
- April 23, 2020: Fact Sheet: Individual and Households Program: Remote Inspections | FEMA.gov
- April 22, 2020: Fact Sheet: FEMA Implementation of Allocation Order on Exports of Scarce PPE and Notice on Exemptions | FEMA.gov
- April 22, 2020: Fact Sheet: Addressing PPE Needs in Non-Healthcare Setting | FEMA.gov
- April 21, 2020: With Excess National Supply, Exchanges Will Allow U.S. Hospitals to Continue Meeting Ventilator Demand | Whitehouse.gov
- April 21, 2020: FEMA Programs Helping People from Coast to Coast | FEMA.gov
- April 20, 2020: Memorandum on Providing Continued Federal Support for Governors’ Use of the National Guard to Respond to COVID-19 and to Facilitate Economic Recovery | Whitehouse.gov
- April 19, 2020: Executive Order on National Emergency Authority to Temporarily Extend Deadlines for Certain Estimated Payments | Whitehouse.gov
- April 19, 2020: FEMA and HHS Share Best Practices for Coronavirus Pandemic Response | FEMA.gov
- April 18, 2020: Fact Sheet: National Resource Prioritization Cell | FEMA.gov
- April 15, 2020: Connecting Americans to Coronavirus Information Online | Whitehouse.gov
- April 15, 2020: ICE HSI Launches Operation Stolen Promise | ICE.gov
- April 9, 2020: Option To Transition Federal Community- Based Testing Sites To State Management | FEMA.gov
- April 9, 2020: FEMA Announces Rent Suspension | FEMA.gov
- April 8, 2020: FEMA-CBP Joint Statement on Defense Production Act for PPE | FEMA.gov
- April 8, 2020: FEMA COVID-19 Supply Chain Task Force: Supply Chain Stabilization | FEMA.gov
- April 6, 2020: Executive Order on Encouraging International Support for the Recovery and Use of Space Resources | Whitehouse.gov
- April 6, 2020: By the Numbers: A Massive Nationwide Response | Whitehouse.gov
- April 4, 2020: Coast Guard Oversees Disembarkation of 250,000 from Cruise Ships to Reduce Risks Under COVID-19 Emergency | USCG.mil
- April 2, 2020: These 30 Days: How You Can Help | Whitehouse.gov
- April 2, 2020: Fact Sheet: Private Nonprofit Organizations | FEMA.gov
- April 1, 2020: Joint DHS/EOIR Statement on MPP Rescheduling
- March 31, 2020: Fact Sheet: Non-Congregate Sheltering | FEMA.gov
- March 30, 2020: FEMA Supply Chain Task Force Leads Four-Pronged Approach to Securing Needed Supplies and Equipment in COVID-19 Fight | FEMA.gov
- March 29, 2020: FEMA Extends Grace Period for Flood Insurance Renewal Premiums | FEMA.gov
- March 27, 2020: FEMA Offers Ways for Private Sector to Help Fight COVID-19 | FEMA.gov
- March 23, 2020: Fact Sheet: Public Assistance Simplified Application | FEMA.gov
- March 19, 2020: Fact Sheet: Eligible Emergency Protective Measures | FEMA.gov
- March 13, 2020: President Donald J. Trump Directs FEMA Support Under Emergency Declaration for COVID-19 | FEMA.gov