The Department of Homeland Security (DHS), along with eight other federal agencies, published a final regulation providing religious liberty protections for beneficiaries of federally funded social service programs, while also detailing protections for the ability of religious providers to compete for government funds on the same basis as any other eligible organization.
The final regulation provides clear guidance to the organizations that participate in our social service programs, and specifies protections for beneficiaries of DHS social services programs including the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services' Citizenship and Integration Program Grant, the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) Emergency Food and Shelter Program, FEMA Crisis Counseling, and FEMA Disaster Case Management.
In supplement to the regulation, DHS provides the following guidance and resources to assist faith-based and other neighborhood organizations that receive financial assistance to support social service programs, as well as intermediaries (such as state administering agencies), in understanding and complying with the regulation:
- DHS Guidance on Partnerships with Faith-based and Other Neighborhood Organizations: This guidance provides clear and uniform instructions on fundamental principles that apply to DHS financial assistance awards or contracts to faith-based and other neighborhood organizations providing social services.
- Notice of Beneficiary Rights and Beneficiary Referral Request Forms (in multiple languages): These model forms provide a format that can be readily adapted and reproduced by covered faith-based organizations.
- Training Slides: This presentation provides an overview of the regulation and visual instruction for faith-based and other neighborhood organizations on their role to ensure nondiscrimination in their services and activities.
- Executive Order 13559, Fundamental Principles and Policymaking Criteria for Partnerships with Faith-Based and Other Neighborhood Organizations (August 17, 2010)
- DHS Final Rule Implementing Executive Order 13559: Fundamental Principles and Policymaking Criteria for Partnerships with Faith-Based and Other Neighborhood Organizations
- DHS Center for Faith-based and Neighborhood Partnerships