- DHS is currently piloting a number of programs to expedite and enhance the international travel experience, including "OneStop," which is designed to reduce wait times by designating primary inspection lanes for international travelers arriving without checked baggage, and "Express Connection," which designates customs lanes for travelers who have short time windows between connecting flights.
- The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) enhanced its support of CBP's Pre-clearance Program by launching a new initiative to evaluate aviation screening performed at foreign pre-clearance locations, which requires annual review of preclearance aviation screening operations conducted by the host government to ensure comparability to TSA standards. This process began in July 2011 and strengthens the domestic transportation network by providing more frequent evaluations of pre-clearance operations, identification of significant risks, and immediate resolution of gaps in security.
- Through TSA's Foreign Airport Assessment Program, TSA conducted more than 100 foreign airport assessments and more than 900 air carrier inspections to assess security at foreign airports served by U.S. aircraft operators and from which foreign air carries serve the U.S.
- CBP has strengthened its in-bound targeting operations to enable CBP to identify high-risk travelers who are likely to be inadmissible into the U.S. and to recommend to commercial carriers with direct flights to the U.S. that those individuals not be permitted to board a commercial aircraft through its Pre-Clearance program. In fiscal year 2011, CBP identified 8,200 passengers who would likely have been found inadmissible upon arrival to the U.S.
- CBP enrolled nearly 290,000 new travelers in the agency's Trusted Traveler Programs (Global Entry, SENTRI, NEXUS and FAST) designed to expedite screening for low-risk travelers and commerce through rigorous, recurrent background checks. In 2011, the Global Entry program expanded to include Korea, the United Kingdom and Germany.
Last Published Date: September 10, 2014