You are here

Marriage and Domestic Partners

Getting married is an exciting time. As you plan your wedding, take time to plan for any changes you may need to make to your benefits plan or other personnel actions that your change in marital status may require. You can also find information on this page on how your benefits can be extended to your same sex domestic partner, and the forms that you will need to complete to add your partner to your plan.

Name Change

If your name changes, you may request a personnel action to change your name on your official records. A copy of the marriage certificate with your new name will need to be provided. In addition, you must notify the Social Security Administration (SSA) of your new name. This can be done by contacting the SSA at 1-800-SSA-1213.

Address Change

If your address changes, you are required to use the Employee Personnel Page (EPP) to change your address in your records.

Tax Withholding

If you wish to adjust your Federal, state, or local tax withholding, the paragraphs below explain how to make those changes.

Federal Taxes

You are required to use the EPP to change marital status, the number of exemptions, the amount of additional deductions, file a W-4 form, or file an exemption from withholding.

State Taxes

You are required to use the EPP to change your state tax withholding in the state in which you currently reside.

You may NOT use the EPP if you move to another state and want to file the initial state withholding form, file an exemption from state withholding, or claim more than 10 exemptions. If you have moved to another state, or would like to make changes that you may NOT make on the EPP, contact your Human Resources office for information on how to make these changes.

Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)

You are required to use the EPP to change your bank or financial institution. The financial institution's routing number, your account number, and type of account (checking or savings) are required to do this. These can be obtained from your financial institution. It is advisable to leave your old account open until all funds have been transferred to the new account.

Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) Program

If you have self-only FEHB coverage and want to add coverage for your new spouse, you may want to change to a self-and-family plan. If you already have a self-and-family plan, you will need to notify the health carrier that you wish to enroll your new spouse. The health carrier may require that you submit a copy of your marriage certificate. You must complete and submit the Health Benefits Election Form (SF-2809) and a copy of your marriage certificate to Retirement and Benefits Advisory Services (RABAS) to change your coverage because of a marriage.
NOTE: You will have 60 days from the date of your marriage to change your FEHB enrollment.

Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP)

If you are enrolled under the Self Only FEDVIP plan, you may increase to self-plus-one or to self-and-family coverage. You must change your enrollment on-line at: or by calling (877) 888-3337.
You will have 60 days from the date of the qualifying life event to make your change.

Flexible Spending Account Program (FSAFEDS)

You may be able to enroll in an FSAFEDS health care flexible spending account and/or dependent care account or change your current election(s) from 31 days before the event to 60 days after the event. For the health care account, you must also be eligible to enroll in the FEHB Program. Your requested change must be consistent with the event and you cannot enroll or increase your election(s) after October 1st (you have to wait until the annual Federal Benefits Open Season).
To enroll or change your enrollment, contact FSAFEDS at: (877) 372-3337, or visit the FSAFEDS web site.

Federal Long Term Care Insurance Program (FLTCIP)

If you are newly married, your new spouse may apply for FLTCIP coverage within 60 days after your marriage using the Abbreviated Underwriting Application. After 60 days, your new spouse may still apply but must use the Full Underwriting Application. This Qualifying Life Event (marriage) does not provide eligibility for minor children gained by the event to apply for FLTCIP coverage.
For more information about the FLTCIP, contact Long Term Care Partners at: (800)582-3337, or visit the FLTCIP web site.

Federal Employees' Group Life Insurance (FEGLI) Program

You may elect to increase your FEGLI coverage and/or elect coverage under the Family Option. If you currently have Basic coverage, you may elect Option B; you may add as many multiples as additional family members (spouse and eligible children) that you have resulting from the marriage up to five multiples. Under Option C, you may designate from one to five multiples, regardless of the number of eligible family members you have.
You must submit the Life Insurance Election Form (SF-2817) along with a copy of your marriage certificate to RABAS to make these changes.
NOTE: You will have 60 days from the date of the event to submit this form.

Beneficiary Forms

If you are newly married, you should review your Electronic Official Personnel Folder (eOPF) for any current Designation of Beneficiary Forms that you may have on file. If there are none and you do not complete any new forms, upon your death all of your Federal benefits would go, by law, to your new surviving spouse. If you previously filed Designation of Beneficiary Forms and named one or more beneficiaries, you will need to review the forms to determine whether you wish to make any changes. Check with your Human Resources office for information on how to submit new Designation of Beneficiary forms. Please visit OPM for more information about updating beneficiary forms.

Employee Support Programs

Your Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provides employees and their eligible family members with up no cost counseling and legal and financial consultation. All services are confidential. View contact information for your component EAP.

Last Published Date: March 7, 2019

Was this page helpful?

This page was not helpful because the content:
Back to Top