The Student Hire Internship Program (SHIP) for Procurement Professionals offers current students in relevant educational programs internships in DHS procurement offices during the period before graduation. Upon graduation, student interns may be converted into positions in the Acquisition Professional Career Program.
About the Program
The program currently offers 10-week Full-Time internships during the Summer before graduation. Students may be offered the opportunity to extend their internships on a Part-Time basis into the following Fall and Spring semesters. Upon graduation, students may be offered the opportunity to convert into Full-Time positions in the Acquisition Professional Career Program. Extensions or conversions are not implied or guaranteed at any time for any interns.
Internship positions are filled under the Pathways Internship Program. This Program allows students to gain paid work experience while pursuing a degree, diploma, or certificate at a qualifying institution. Under the Pathways Program, students who successfully complete all work, study, qualifications, and other eligibility requirements may be offered a permanent position with our agency upon graduation or completion of a qualifying certificate.
As a Student Trainee (Contracting), typical work assignments may include the following under supervision:
- Serve on a team specializing in acquisition to negotiate, award, administer, and/or closeout actions.
- Assist in the development and review of statements of work.
- Prepare acquisition documents and obtain legal, financial, and staff review.
- Assist higher-graded staff with the day-to-day administration of acquisition activity.
- Participate in special activities as assigned.
- Ascertain that all items necessary for contract closeout are appropriately completed.
- Assure that data in information systems for assigned work is complete, current, and accurate.
Openings and Recruitment
We have completed recruitment for the Summer 2020 SHIP Cohort. We plan to recruit for the Summer 2021 SHIP Cohort in early 2021. Monitor this page and USAJOBS for updates and job opportunity announcements.
You may set up a job alert notification on USAJOBS so that you will receive notice when our SHIP job announcement posts. You may apply after it posts. A keyword you may use in your saved search settings is “Student Hire Internship Program”. Set your alert notice to “daily” and remember to renew it each year before it automatically archives. Visit USAJOBS for more information about job alert notifications.