U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Government Website

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Safely connect using HTTPS

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock () or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.


Services for Current and Former Immigrant Military Members and their Families

U.S. Immigration Services, and Other U.S. Government Services

This page provides resources from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), the Department of Defense (DoD), and other agencies that offer services and resources to assist military members, veterans, and their families.

As a U.S. military member or veteran, you may be eligible to apply for naturalization to become a United States citizen as well as other benefits and services.

  • New Resource

    Get information about seeking return to the U.S. after deportation or removal.

Learn if you and your family qualify for:

As a current or former U.S. military member, you could be eligible to apply for naturalization under special provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

If you are a current service member, you and your qualifying family members could also be eligible to complete the entire naturalization process outside the United States.

Check to see if you are eligible for U.S. citizenship:

Discretionary options for military service members, veterans, and their immediate family members—including those seeking to return after removal.

Generally, if you’re a service member who served on active duty and did not receive a dishonorable discharge, you could be eligible for VA benefits. Your immigration status—including past or pending deportation or removal—does not affect your eligibility for VA benefits.

Learn how to qualify and apply for VA benefits:

We can help you:

Do you need legal advice? Although you can file your immigration and naturalization applications on your own, you may consider getting legal advice.

Organizations that may be able to assist you with legal questions:

Translation services are available for current service members who need help speaking or writing in English.

Current Service Members:

  • Contact your military installation’s human resources office.

Former Service Members:

Have questions? Contact us.

About this initiative

On July 2, 2021, Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro N. Mayorkas and Secretary of Veteran Affairs Denis R. McDonough announced a new initiative to support our nation's noncitizen service members, veterans and immediate family members of service members.

"The Department of Homeland security recognizes the profound commitment and sacrifice that service members and their families have made to the United States of America. Together with our partner, the Department of Veterans Affairs, we are committed to bringing back military service members, veterans and their immediate family members who were unjustly removed and ensuring they receive the benefits to which they may be entitled. We are taking important steps to make that a reality." - Secretary Mayorkas


U.S. Department of Homeland Security Seal
Department of Veterans Affairs Seal
Department of Defense Seal
Last Updated: 04/07/2022
Was this page helpful?
This page was not helpful because the content