The Medical Countermeasure (MCM) DHS-wide contract vehicle directly supports the Pandemic Influenza and Emerging Threats Countermeasures for the DHS Workforce. Antiviral medications have a finite shelf life and therefore, periodic acquisition is necessary to maintain a predetermined level of available antivirals in the DHS stockpile.
Currently there are two types of antivirals available:
Medical Countermeasure: Relenza© (Zanamivir)
MCM Type: Antiviral
Contractor: GlaxoSmithKline (IDIQ contract)
Medical Countermeasure: Tamiflu (Oseltamivir)
MCM Type: Antiviral
Contractor: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (IAA)
Mandatory (with exceptions)
There are numerous benefits to utilizing the MCM contract vehicles including:
- Ease of use with preferred terms in place;
- Pre-negotiated preferred pricing; and
- Components may contract directly with the vendors using these vehicles.
Information Specific to Antiviral Medications
- Requirements for the administration, dispensing and storage of antiviral medications can be found in the Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for the Administration of Antiviral Medications (included as Appendix B in the User/Ordering Guide or follow link below).
- Authorized Use: Antivirals purchased under the DHS-wide IDIQ contract can be used only during a pandemic outbreak (consistent with HHS Strategic National Stockpile (SNS) requirements). The antiviral medication cannot be dispensed for human seasonal influenza use. A national or state-specific influenza pandemic declaration by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services or a pandemic response ordered by the Department of Homeland Security must be affirmed to allow use of the medication. These antiviral may be purchased and stockpiled in advance of, and in preparation for, a declared pandemic.
Period of Performance (POP)
Relenza© (Zanamivir): One base year + 4 one-year option years (7/13/2015 - 7/12/2020)
Tamiflu (Oseltamivir): One base year + 4 one-year option years (7/21/2015 – 7/20/2020)
Post Award Teaming
For teaming opportunities, please contact the applicable awardee(s)
Number of Awardees
1 large business & 1 federal government agency
Name: GlaxoSmithKline (GSK)
Contract #: HSHQDC-15-D-00016
Name: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Contract #: HSHQDC-15-X-00160
To contact us regarding a Strategic Sourcing Vehicle or future initiative, please email SSPOInquiry@hq.dhs.gov.