The National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 (NEPA) is the federal government's charter for protection of the human environment. Through NEPA, Congress directed federal agencies to integrate environmental considerations into their planning and decision making. The NEPA process provides agency decision makers and the public with an understanding of the potential environmental impacts of proposed actions.
Recent NEPA Documents Prepared for DHS Actions
The public is invited to participate in the Department's NEPA process by reviewing documents and findings issued by the Department, and providing comments during the public comment period. NEPA documents include Environmental Assessments, Findings of No Significant Impact (FONSI), Environmental Impact Statements, and Records of Decision.
Environmental Impact Statements
- DHS Environmental Impact Statements
- DHS Adoption of GSA Environmental Impact Statements for St. Elizabeths Campus
- Proposed NYC Subway Tracer Particle and Gas Releases for the Underground Transport Restoration (UTR) Project: Final Environmental Assessment and FONSI
- U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement South Texas Family Residential Center: Supplemental Environmental Assessment and FONSI
- Programmatic Environmental Assessment (PEA) and Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) for DHS Actions to Address and Increased Influx in Unaccompanied Alien Children and Family Units Across the Southwest Border of the United States
- Please check the FEMA and CBP environmental websites for additional NEPA documents.
- DHS Environmental Justice Strategy & Annual Reports
- Executive Order 13604 Agency Plan (PDF, 9 pages, 371 KB)
NEPA Alternative Arrangements
- Alternative Arrangements for the Reconstruction of New Orleans Metropolitan Area Critical Infrastructure
- Alternative Arrangements for Issuing and Implementing the Emergency Temporary Interim Rule to Support Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill Response
DHS NEPA Procedures
- Department Procedures for Implementing NEPA and Administrative Record to Support the Department’s Categorical Exclusions (effective April 2006)
- DHS Directive 023-01, Rev 01 "Implementing the National Environmental Policy Act" (effective March 26, 2015)
- Instruction Manual 023-01-001-01, Rev 01 "Implementing the National Environmental Policy Act" (effective March 26, 2015)
- DHS Synopsis of Administrative Record to Support Proposed New Categorical Exclusions under the National Environmental Policy Act (December 2014)