The National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 (NEPA) is the federal government's charter for protection of the human environment. Through NEPA, Congress directed federal agencies to integrate environmental considerations into their planning and decision making. The NEPA process provides agency decision makers and the public with an understanding of the potential environmental impacts of proposed actions.
NEPA Documents for Public Review and Comment
In accordance with NEPA, DHS prepares environmental documentation to identify and assess the potential for environmental impacts associated with proposed DHS activities and projects. NEPA documents include Environmental Assessments (EA), Findings of No Significant Impact (FONSI), Environmental Impact Statements (EIS), and Records of Decision (ROD). As a part of the process, DHS works in a collaborative manner with diverse stakeholders including local and state government, Native American Tribes, Federal land managers, and the interested public to identify, understand, and, to the extent possible, minimize impacts to the environment. DHS invites members of the public to participate in the Department's NEPA process by reviewing documents and findings issued by the Department, and providing comments during the public comment period.
Environmental Impact Statements
There are currently no Environmental Impact Statements available for public review and comment.
DHS invites public review and comment on the Draft Environmental Assessment for the Solar Photovoltaic Array for the FLETC Facility Located in Cheltenham, Maryland.
- Please check the FEMA and CBP environmental websites for additional Environmental Assessments.
The following NEPA documents are provided for your reference.
- DHS Environmental Justice Strategy & Annual Reports
- Executive Order 13604 Agency Plan (PDF, 9 pages, 371 KB)
DHS NEPA Procedures
- DHS Directive 023-01, Rev 01 "Implementing the National Environmental Policy Act" (effective March 26, 2015)
- Instruction Manual 023-01-001-01, Rev 01 "Implementing the National Environmental Policy Act" (effective March 26, 2015, administrative revisions effective October 13, 2017)
- Administrative Revisions to Instruction 023-01-001 Rev 01 (October 2017)