The Office of Accessible Systems & Technology (OAST) guides and supports all Department components in removing barriers to information access and employment of qualified individuals with disabilities in accord with the requirements of Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (as amended). OAST is part of both the Office for Civil Rights and Civil Liberties and the Office of Chief Information Officer.
OAST provides strategic direction, governance, technical support, and training to ensure Department employees and customers with disabilities have equal access to information and data. OAST strives to ensure that electronic and information technology procured, developed, maintained, or used by the Department is accessible to employees and customers with disabilities through a range of policy, training, technical assistance, governance and compliance activities.
Areas of Focus
- Governance and compliance activities including change and configuration management
- Web Accessibility and Remediation Program
- Acquisition review and audit operations
- Federal Information Security Management Act Section 508 Compliance Audit Operations
- Enterprise Architecture and life cycle compliance
- Department Accessibility Help Desk services
- IT Accessibility Testing and Remediation services
- Electronic Document Accessibility and Remediation services
- e-Learning and Multimedia Accessibility services
- Reasonable Accommodations services