The Office of the Citizenship and Immigration Services Ombudsman (CIS Ombudsman) raises awareness about our mission and engages the public by:
- Hosting regional stakeholder meetings and national engagements on a variety of topics;
- Identifying problems individuals and employers encounter when dealing with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS); and
- Promoting open and transparent communication between USCIS, USCIS’ customers, other government agencies, and external stakeholders.
We meet with a variety of stakeholders who have a vested interest in the immigration system. This includes businesses, advocacy organizations, legal providers, nonprofits, institutions of higher education, congressional offices, religious organizations, federal/state/local government offices, and foreign embassies. To request a meeting with the CIS Ombudsman, email us at CISombudsman.PublicAffairs@hq.dhs.gov. To receive webinar invitations, please sign up for our email updates.
- Tuesday, September 26, 2023 - The CIS Ombudsman’s Webinar Series: Engagement with USCIS on Customer Experience Enhancements
Stay tuned for our future webinars, as we are always in the process of coming up with informative sessions for the public.
To receive invitation to future events, please subscribe to our distribution list.
We host national webinars and listening sessions on a variety of topics. Summaries and links to presentations and questions and answers from recent webinars are below.
July 19, 2023
Engagement with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on the Naturalization Test Redesign Initiative
We hosted a joint webinar highlighting USCIS' Naturalization Test Redesign Initiative. We will post the presentation, follow-up questions and answers, and readout soon.
July 11, 2023
2023 Annual Report to Congress
We hosted a public webinar highlighting our 2023 Annual Report to Congress. We have posted the presentation, follow-up questions and answers, and readout.
June 27, 2023
Engagement with USCIS on the Streamlined, Fee-Exempted Re-parole Application Process for Certain Afghan Nationals
We hosted a joint informational session on the new re-parole application process for certain Afghan nationals. Representatives from USCIS and the Department of Health and Human Services' Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) provided information about applying for re-parole, employment authorization renewal, and resources available to these applicants. We have posted the presentation and readout and will post follow-up materials as they become available.
Below are links to see summaries, presentations, and follow-up questions and answers from our past webinars. Past webinars are any that occurred over six months ago. To see a list of all the questions and answers, please see our Webinar Questions and Answers page.
2023 (through May 30)
September 21, 2022: Fireside Chat with CIS Ombudsman Phyllis Coven and USCIS Director Ur Jaddou
August 25, 2022: Interagency Engagement on International Student Issues
July 19, 2022: 2022 Annual Report
June 22, 2022: USCIS' Backlog Reduction Efforts
February 7, 2022: Listening Session: DHS Form 7001, Case Assistance Form
January 20, 2022: Overview of myUSCIS for Applicants
- October 14, 2021: Listening Session: Getting to Know the Office of the Immigration Detention Ombudsman
- August 24, 2021: USCIS Introduces Online Filing for Form I-821, Application for Temporary Protected Status
- August 2, 2021: Services for Noncitizen Veterans
- July 14, 2021: 2021 Annual Report to Congress
- June 23, 2021: Naturalization and Immigrant Integration
- May 5, 2021: USCIS Introduces Online Filing for Form I-765 for F-1 Students Seeking OPT
- April 14, 2021: USCIS Contact Center
- March 31, 2021: USCIS’ Online Filing and Customer Service Tools
- March 4, 2021: Overview of the H-1B Electronic Registration Process for Attorneys and Representatives
- January 13, 2021: How the DHS is Combating Human Trafficking and Forced Labor in Imported Goods
- November 19, 2020: USCIS and CIS Ombudsman Joint Engagements on USCIS’ Current State of Operations (Session Two)
- October 28, 2020: USCIS and CIS Ombudsman Joint Engagements on USCIS’ Current State of Operations (Session One)
- October 7, 2020: USCIS’ Processing of Concurrently Pending Forms N-400 and Forms I-751
- September 29, 2020: Liberian Refugee Immigration Fairness Law
- February 20, 2020: USCIS H-1B Registration Process
- February 13, 2020: Best Practices for Filing USCIS Forms