The National Council of Statewide Interoperability Coordinators (NCSWIC) is comprised of Statewide Interoperability Coordinators (SWIC) and their alternate from the 56 States and territories. There are two main groups that make up the NCSWIC: 1) Executive Committee (EC) members (also referred to as Regional Interoperability Council (RIC) Chairs) and 2) general NCSWIC members. Both groups are members of their respective RIC.
NCSWIC members work with public safety responders in their respective region and state or territory to create governance structures that promote and enhance interoperable communications. This approach ensures multi-jurisdictional and cross-disciplinary coordination occurs amongst public safety responders and policymakers for the purpose of identifying and implementing solutions that enhance interoperability.
In support of this approach, NCSWIC has developed a governance structure that compliments the input provided by public safety responders and policymakers.
NCSWIC members develop or enhance State and territory governance structures to provide strategic guidance from first responders that can be shared at interstate RIC meetings and at the NCSWIC EC meetings.
NCSWIC Organization Chart
NCSWIC Executive Committee
The NCSWIC Executive Committee (EC) is the leadership group and governing body of the NCSWIC and is comprised of the Regional Interoperability Council (RIC) Chairs from each of the ten Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) regions.
The interstate RICs were developed to promote communication and collaboration among SWICs for the purpose of establishing interoperable communications solutions with neighboring states, FEMA regions, and countries. The RICs shall also be the venue to ensure the actions and guidance sought by the EC are communicated, vetted, and implemented.
Each FEMA region has its own interstate RIC. Membership is comprised of the SWIC (or acting SWIC representative) from each State or territory in the FEMA region.
2018 NCSWIC Leadership
- NCSWIC Chair: Nikki Cassingham
- NCSWIC Vice-Chair: Joe Galvin
- Governance Committee Chair: Brad Stoddard
- Planning, Training,and Exercises Committee Chair: John Miller
- Funding and Sustainment Committee Co-Chair: David Soloos
- Technology Policy Committee Co-Chair: Joe Galvin
NCSWIC Executive Committee
- Region I: Steve Mallory, Maine
- Region II: John Miller, New Jersey
- Region III: Mark Wrightston, Pennsylvania
- Region IV: Derek Nesselrode, Kentucky
- Region V: Joe Galvin, Illinois, and Brad Stoddard, Michigan, Co-Chairs
- Region VI: Penny Rubow, Arkansas
- Region VII: Jason Bryant, Kansas
- Region VIII: Quinn Ness, Montana, and Jeff Pierce, South Dakota, Co-Chairs
- Region IX: Frank Lujan, Jr., Guam
- Region X: David Soloos, Oregon
NCSWIC Membership is comprised of the Statewide Interoperability Coordinator (SWIC) or an acting SWIC representative from each State or territory in the designated region. Please click on a region below to view NCSWIC contact information for that region.
For a complete list of the NCSWIC membership please refer to the NCSWIC Membership Roster.
The Office of Emergency Communications (OEC) established the Regional Coordination Program to strengthen emergency communications capabilities across tribal, local, state, and federal governments through trusted relationships, collaboration, and knowledge sharing. OEC has subject matter experts located across the country to engage stakeholders and address the complex issues facing the emergency communications ecosystem.