Through the engagement of and partnership with first responders and the emergency preparedness and response community, the First Responders Group (FRG) pursues a better understanding of the response community's needs and requirements, provides technical assistance, and develops innovations to the most pressing challenges faced during day-to-day and large-scale emergencies. These efforts are occurring at every stage of technology and solution development, and are involving first responders at the local, state, tribal and federal levels.
Recent First Responder News and Announcements
Snapshot: Newly Transitioned Hurricane Decision Support Platform Gives Emergency Managers More Capabilities June 12, 2017 — The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Science and Technology Directorate’s (S&T) HURREVAC-eXtended (HV-X) platform integrates forecast and planning data to provide emergency managers decision support tools for use in advance of and during tropical weather.
Snapshot: New Training Aims to Improve Operational Security at U.S. Border June 2, 2017 — The Expert Tracker training we are developing with DHS S&T keeps us at the forefront of integrating technology, current training research, and innovation.
For a complete listing of First Responder news articles visit our S&T Responder News page.
In close partnership with first responders at all levels, FRG identifies, validates, and facilitates the fulfillment of needs through the use of existing and emerging technologies, knowledge products, and standards. Prioritized areas of FRG focus and initiatives include:
- Making first responders safer
- Helping first responders share data and critical information
- Helping first responders communicate through interoperability
- Engaging, communicating and partnering with first responders
First Responder Publications
- Download the First Responders Group (FRG) Fact Sheet
- Download the First Responders Group - Prioritizing the Security and Well-Being of Americans Infographic
- Read First Responders Publications and First Responder Fact Sheets.
- Read the latest edition of The Siren, FRG's bi-monthly newsletter.
- Browse the FRG 2016 Year-in-Review Responder Technologies Photo Gallery.
First Responder Communities of Practice (FRCoP)
First Responder Communities of Practice is a professional networking, collaboration and communication platform created by the Department of Homeland Security Science & Technology Directorate to support improved collaboration and information sharing amongst the nation's First Responders and other Federal, State, Tribal, Territorial, and local governments and private sector stakeholders supporting homeland security efforts. This vetted community of members focuses on emergency preparedness, response, recovery and other homeland security issues.
With a FRCoP account, you can:
- Collaborate on wikis, blogs and discussion boards
- Find, share and store documents and best practices
- Create and search profiles
- Connect, chat, and email with other professionals
To request an account, complete the online form on communities.firstresponder.gov
Connect with First Responders!
Stay informed on what FRG is doing in the community by following us on social media.
The following first responder-related events and conferences are happening in your communities.
Grants and training resources are available to the first responder community.
Interested in what we’re working on, or in the future of first responders?
Learn about FRG's overarching R&D and technology programs.
The First Responders Group (FRG) works with first responders to identify their technology needs and capability gaps.
Read The Siren, a First Responder Group bi-monthly newsletter.