The First Responders Group (FRG) works with first responders to identify their technology needs and capability gaps. FRG then works with research and development organizations, academia, industry, and the innovation community to create solutions. The following technologies were all imagined and field-tested by first responders across the country that are now available for agencies to procure. For additional information please contact the First Responders Group at First.Responder@hq.dhs.gov.
Standard cleaning techniques and storage methods do not provide adequate sanitization and backboards can often serve as hotbeds for infection. This simple cover prevents the spread of disease and contamination of the board.
- Fact Sheet: Board Armor® Backboard Cover
- S&T Snapshot: When Clean just isn't Clean Enough
- Publication: Emergency Medical Services Board Armor Backboard Cover: Operational Field Assessment Post Assessment Report
- Vendor: Board Armor®
Encoding device securely transmits compressed high definition video and audio streams to remote locations.
The ERAD Prepaid Card Reader is a small, handheld device that wirelessly allows law enforcement officers in the field to identify and check the balance of suspicious cards, and to put a temporary hold on the linked funds until a full investigation can be completed.
- Fact Sheet: Prepaid Card Reader
- S&T Video: ERAD Prepaid Card Reader in 100 Seconds
- S&T Snapshot: DHS S&T’s Prepaid Card Reader’s Upgrades Make it Faster and Cheaper
- S&T Snapshot: S&T's Prepaid Card Reader Aids Law Enforcement in Seizing Fraudulent Cards
- Publication: ERAD Prepaid Card Reader Article - Freezing Assets
- Vendor Name: ERAD Group
FINDER uses microwave radar to pinpoint individuals trapped in rubble.
- Fact Sheet: FINDER: Detecting Heartbeats in Rubble and Rescuing Victims of Disasters
- S&T Video: FINDER: The Bigger Story
- S&T Snapshot: Detecting Heartbeats in Rubble: DHS and NASA Team up to Save Victims of Disasters
- S&T Press Release: DHS and NASA Technology Helps Save Four in Nepal Earthquake Disaster
- Vendor Name: R4, Inc.
- Vendor Name: SpecOps Group Inc.
NEON-P® leverages existing time-of-flight tracking to allow first responders to quickly hone in on a colleague in distress.
- Fact Sheet: Firefighter Accountability and Proximity (FFAP) System
- S&T Video: Firefighter Accountability and Proximity (FFAP) in 100 Seconds
- S&T Responder News: Firefighter Accountability and Proximity System hones in on Firefighter Safety
- Publication: Firefighter Accountability and Proximity (FFAP) System Operational Field Assessment Report
- Vendor Name: TRX Systems, Inc.
The FireGround Compass® provides firefighters operating in dark, smoky, disorienting environments with a tool that will help them keep their directional bearings and always know their entry and exit points. It was also developed to be easily manipulated while wearing thick firefighting gloves.
- Fact Sheet: FireGround Compass®
- Publication: Operational Test and Evaluation Performance Report: Halcyon FireGround Compass
- Vendor Name: Halcyon Products, Inc.
FiRST app is a simple yet powerful bomb response tool that puts key decision-making data—such as safe standoff distances, damage and injury contours, nearby areas of concern, and suggested roadblocks—directly at responders’ fingertips.
- Fact Sheet: First Responder Support Tools (FiRST) Application
- S&T Video: First Responder Support Tool (FiRST) - Bomb Response App
- Publication: First Responder Support Tools (FiRST) Sharing Service (FSS) Operational Field Assessment
- Vendor Name: Applied Research Associates, Inc.
New structure glove provides the full range of protection firefighters need with enhanced dexterity, water repellency and fire resistance.
- Fact Sheet: Improved Structure Firefighting Glove
- S&T Video: Improved Structure Firefighting Gloves
- S&T Snapshot: Improved Gloves Enhance Safety of First Responders
- Publication: Improved Structural Firefighting Glove: Operational Field Assessment Report
- Vendor Name: Shelby Specialty Gloves
This surveillance camera is easy to conceal and provides optimal high-resolution video footage in a variety of lighting conditions, especially in very low light. The camera transmits real-time data over internet protocol to locations where law enforcement can discretely monitor footage.
Developed via the Small Business Innovation Research Program in partnership with the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Office of Firearms and Tactical Programs, the Mechanical Shooter mimics exact movements of a human shooting a handgun in order to reduce injuries and prevent strain from repetitive firing during firearm testing.
- Fact Sheet: Virtual Shooter
- S&T Video: Virtual Shooter in 100 Seconds
- S&T Snapshot: Virtual Shooter Technology Tests Ammo and Saves Joints
- Vendor Name: Radiance Technologies
This is a P25-compatible, after-market technology solution that allows agencies to easily upgrade and reconfigure legacy systems at a low cost. RIC-M allows many older base station systems to be used for another 10 to 20 years.
- Fact Sheet: Radio Internet-Protocol Communications Module (RIC-M)
- S&T Video: Radio Internet Protocol Communications Module
- S&T Snapshot: S&T’s Interoperable Solution Makes It Easier and Cheaper For First Responders to Communicate
- S&T Press Release: DHS S&T Licenses Groundbreaking Communications Technology
- Publication: Conventional Fixed Station Interface for Legacy Base Station Equipment Operational Field Assessment
- Vendor Name: Christine Wireless, Inc.
- Vendor Name: Avtec, Inc.
SAPBER removes end caps and collects video and physical evidence from pipe bombs while keeping operators at a safe standoff distance.
- Fact Sheet: Semi-Autonomous Pipe Bomb End Cap Remover
- S&T Snapshot Article: Dismantling a Pipe Bomb - and Preserving the Evidence
- Vendor Name: RE2, Inc.
Chronic exposure to toxic combustion products and particulate matter found in the fireground environment are believed to contribute significantly to higher firefighter cancer rates. To combat this, S&T collaborated with North Carolina State University’s Textile Protection and Comfort Center and LION First Responder PPE, Inc. to develop a structural turnout ensemble with enhanced infiltration protection at ensemble interfaces—preventing smoke and particulates from reaching the firefighters’ skin and protecting them from hazardous vapors and materials.
- Fact Sheet: Smoke and Particulate Resistant Structural Turnout Ensemble
- S&T Press Release: New Turnout Ensemble Aims to Reduce Firefighter Cancer Risk
- S&T Video: Operational Field Test of the Smoke and Particulate Resistant Structural Turnout Ensemble
- Publication: Smoke and Particulate Resistant Structural Turnout Ensemble Operational Field Assessment Report
- Vendor Name: LION First Responder PPE, Inc.
The ViSi Mobile® System monitors vital signs without connecting wired sensors from the patient to other equipment.
- Fact Sheet: Wireless Patient Monitoring
- S&T Video: Wireless Vital Signs Monitoring in 100 Seconds
- Publication: Wireless Patient Vital Signs Monitoring Device Operational Field Assessment
- Vendor Name: Sotera Wireless, Inc.
National Fire Protection Association-certified suite of personal protective equipment, WLFF APPS reduces wildland firefighter heat stress injuries. The garment system improves radiant thermal protection and has increased form, fit, and function.
- Fact Sheet: Wildland Firefighters Advanced Personal Protection System
- S&T Responder News: Wildland Firefighter PPE Provides Advantages for Fighting Outdoor Heat
- Publication: Advanced Personal Protection System (APPS), Wildland Firefighter Personal Protection Equipment (WLFF PPE) Clothing System Program, Final Report
- Vendor Name: Workrite Uniform Company
- Vendor Name: Crew Boss PPE