Acquisition Support and Operations Analysis (ASOA) strengthens the Homeland Security Enterprise mission to secure the nation by providing analyses, engineering, and test expertise and products connecting Research, Development, and Acquisition to the operational end-user.
ASOA is led by Director Debra Durham.
ASOA expands the Science and Technology Directorate's (S&T) analytic and systems engineering competencies in support of the Homeland Security Enterprise as they acquire operationally focused, best value solutions that can be successfully transitioned to operational use. To accomplish this, ASOA provides coordinated policy, guidance, processes, products, and outreach in four critical areas: standards development; systems analysis; research and development testing and assessment; and operational testing and evaluation. Specifically, ASOA applies its expertise in the following ways:
- Assist component research and development and acquisition programs to apply a systems analysis approach to develop high-fidelity, testable operational and capability requirements on the “front end.”
- Assist research and development and acquisition programs to apply a research and development test and assessment approach to support development, execution, and transition of technologies.
- Develop, promote, and facilitate a rigorous systems engineering process to institutionalize a “systems thinking” approach to programs and increase efficiency in transforming customer needs and requirements into operational capabilities.
- Through delegation by the Secretary act as the principal advisor on operational testing and evaluation and oversee Test and Evaluation (T&E) for DHS Major Acquisition Programs.
- Serve as the Executive Agent for the DHS’ Federally Funded Research and Development Centers (FFRDCs), Systems Engineering and Development Institute (HSSEDI) and Studies and Analysis Institute (HSSAI).
- Serve as the Standards Executive for the development and use of standards that meet DHS enterprise needs with reliable, interoperable and effective technologies and processes.
- ASOA’s Transportation Security Lab provide expertise, specialized facilities and test protocols necessary to develop and evaluate explosive screening and contraband detection technologies.
- ASOA’s System Assessment and Validation for Emergency Responders (SAVER) Program assists emergency responders in making procurement decisions by conducting objective assessments and validations on commercial equipment and systems.
- Serves as the Component Acquisition Executive for the S&T Directorate.