Steps to a Healthier You
The start of a new year is a great time to set intentions to get healthier- both mentally and physically – for a longer, happier life. Here are some steps you can take to assist you with building and maintaining healthy habits throughout the year:
- Move your body Adults need at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity every week, plus muscle-strengthening activities at least two days a week.
- Choose healthy food. Choose options likes fruits and vegetables instead of salty, sugary, or high-fat foods.
- Rethink your drink. Substitute water for sugary drinks or carbonated beverages to reduce calories and improve overall health.
- Maintain a healthy sleep routine. Adults need at least seven hours of sleep each day. Try going to bed and getting up at the same time each day as much as possible, including on the weekends.
- See your doctor regularly. Get regular checkups of blood pressure, cholesterol, and glucose levels. Stay up to date with vaccinations and health screenings.
- Practice healthy habits. Maintain a healthy body weight. Express gratitude. Quit smoking and reduce alcohol intake. Be sun safe, even in cold weather, and apply sunscreen with at least SPF 15.
- Manage stress. Explore stress coping techniques such deep-breathing, stretching, or meditation. Make time to unwind and schedule self-care activities you enjoy.
- Seek help when you need it. Build a meaningful social network and get the support you need through the Employee Assistance Programs (EAP). EAP support is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Always consult with your physician or health professional before starting an exercise or diet plan. For more information on additional employee resources, please contact email@example.com.