The DHS veteran community is an essential part of the Department’s workforce. Veterans bring talent, experience, and patriotism to DHS. Below is a list of resources available for our veteran employees and their families.
- The Department of Veteran’s Affairs (VA) provides a list of State Veteran Services Offices that can provide local resources and information about housing, employment, education, and additional VA benefits.
- Visit VA E-Benefits to learn more about veterans benefits for which you qualify.
- Use VA’s Don’t wait - Reach out website to locate support and resources for a variety of challenges, such as health, career, money, relationships, etc.
- Visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to locate a VA hospital or clinic near you.
- Visit My HealtheVet for tips and tools to help you partner with your VA health care team, so together you may work to manage your health.
- If you are a veteran caregiver, visit the Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers web page to determine your eligibility for in or out of home assisted care.
- The VA has a free, confidential screening tool you can use if you are experiencing symptoms of a mental health condition.
Crisis and Addiction Support
- Lifeline for Vets: 1-888-777-4443
- National Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- Stop Soldier Suicide: 1-800-273-8255 #1
- National Center for PTSD
- For addiction support call Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week: 800-662-4357 (HELP).
- VA Stay QUIT Coach: Stay Quit Coach 2 is designed to help Veterans and others go from quitting smoking to becoming a non-smoker for good.
Community Organizations and Programs
There are many community organizations and programs available to support veterans and their family members across the country. Visit the Department of Veterans Affairs Help for Afghanistan Veterans and Families website for a list of Community Resources and Veteran Service Organizations.
- Veterans in suicidal crisis can go to ANY VA or NON-VA Health Care Facility for FREE emergency health care.
- VA MOVE Coach: MOVE!® Coach is a weight management app for Veterans, service members, their families, and others who want to lose weight. This 16-week program guides participants to achieve success with weight loss and management through education and use of tools in an easy and convenient way. Participants can monitor and receive feedback regarding their progress with weight, diet, and exercise goals.