Juggling your family’s work, life, and health needs can be stressful during this COVID-19 emergency. School closures and lack of child care present special challenges for parents, but there are some steps that you can take to help manage this temporary new normal:
- Maintain a daily routine (as much as possible) to ensure consistency and structure.
- Be creative with activities and ways to pass the time.
- Set guidelines for use of electronics and screen time.
- Limit your exposure to the news and COVID-19 updates to reduce anxiety.
- Help your children stay connected with their friends and family.
- Create a plan for regular exercise.
- Pay attention to your children and watch for signs of stress or illness.
- Teach and reinforce preventative actions, like hand washing.
- Keep in touch with your children's school for updates and resources.
Your Employee Assistance Program is here to help
If you are concerned that your child isn’t coping well with the changes to daily routine caused by COVID-19, or if you are looking for parenting tips and support, contact your Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
EAP is available to assist you and your family members 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Contact your Component EAP for information and referrals to support you with the challenging and rewarding job of being a parent. All services can be accessed without leaving your home. For more information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.