U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Government Website

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Safely connect using HTTPS

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock () or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.


  1. Employee Resources
  2. News Room
  3. Dependent Care FSA Contributions

How to Make Changes to Your Dependent Care FSA Contributions Outside of Open Season

Release Date: June 4, 2020

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, many employees have had to make alternative arrangements for child care, summer camps, and adult care. If you signed up for a Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA) during open season, you may be facing a change in care expenses due to your work schedule or a caregiver’s availability.

If your care provider changes, your costs for care change, or your child reaches age 13 and is no longer eligible for the Dependent Care FSA, you can apply to increase or decrease your DCFSA election due to a Qualifying Life Event (QLE). Other examples of QLEs include:

  • Change in employment status for you, your spouse, or dependent;
  • Change in legal marital status (marriage, divorce, or death of your spouse); or
  • Change in the number of your dependents (birth or adoption of a child, or death of a dependent).

Log in to your FSAFEDS account to submit a QLE change or call 877-FSAFEDS (372-3337),  TTY: 866-353-8058. If FSAFEDS approves your change request, payroll withholding will become effective on the first pay period following approval. If you have questions, FSAFEDS Benefits Counselors are available to assist you Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. - 9 p.m. Eastern Time.

Last Updated: 03/29/2021
Was this page helpful?
This page was not helpful because the content