Spring cleaning is a great way to clear the clutter of the cooler months, and a good time to take on home maintenance projects. Use this list to spruce up your home and help you decide which projects to take on this season.
- Check the walls and woodwork.
- Make a list of anything that needs painting or staining.
- Have your air conditioner or evaporative cooler serviced and replace all filters.
- Identify small issues like leaky faucets or loose cabinet doors.
- Clean or replace grout or caulk in bathrooms.
- Dust and clean light fixtures and ceiling fans.
- Inspect the entire exterior of your house.
- Consider hiring a professional painter to waterproof and paint your house. Filling gaps will help your wood siding and trim last longer and save you money in the long run.
- Sweep off all spider webs and dirt from exterior windowsills and clean the glass.
- Remove storm windows or doors and clean or replace screens.
- Power wash, sand, and reseal your deck before it is exposed to the summer heat and replace splintered or worn deck boards.
- Attend to landscaping by spreading mulch around shrubs and flowerbeds.
- Remove debris that may have settled in gutters during winter.
- Ensure that downspouts are directing water away from the foundation of your house.
- Look at the roof for loose or damaged shingles and contact a roofing contractor for repairs.
Starting some of these projects now can help keep your home looking great and save on costly repairs down the road.