Physical activity plays an important role in health and wellness at all ages. With the warm weather approaching, it is a great time to get outside and exercise. Here are some exercise ideas for you and your elderly loved ones:
- Walking, Bicycling, or Dancing: These fun pastimes are also great endurance activities that will increase your breathing and get your heart pumping.
- Yoga: This serene workout combines physical postures emphasizing stretches, balance, and core strength with breathing exercises and relaxation.
- Tai Chi: This is a meditation that involves moving your body slowly while breathing deeply.
- Swimming: Cool off during the heat while also getting a good workout by swimming laps or doing water aerobics.
- Play with your loved ones: Play a game of basketball or just going for a walk with younger loved ones can be a great way to be active while enjoying some fresh air.
Visit the National Institute on Aging for more resources about senior fitness, including tracking tools to log your physical activity.
Your EAP also provides resources to assist you and your family members 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including health and wellness information and resources, and assistance with locating fitness opportunities and classes. For more information, contact your Component EAP, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.