FSAFEDS recently announced important changes to health care flexible spending accounts (HCFSA), limited expense health care flexible spending accounts (LEX HCFSA), and dependent care flexible spending accounts (DCFSA) for federal employees. You may enroll, increase or decrease your current elections during a special enrollment period from June 1 to June 30, 2021. The special enrollment period allows employees the opportunity to enroll for 2021 and access available 2020 carryover funds.
To enroll for 2021 or to increase or decrease your current elections, visit FSAFEDS:
- To increase or decrease elections, log in to your account and click the “2021 Special Enrollment” button.
- To enroll for 2020 or 2021, hover over “Enroll in a Plan” and select “Special Enrollment Period.”
Please review the following key changes for the special enrollment period:
- The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) is allowing unlimited carryover for re-enrolled HCFSA and LEX HCFSA participants for the 2020 and 2021 plan years. You will not have access to any 2020 carryover funds if you do not re-enroll in 2021.
- OPM is extending the grace period for all DCFSA participants for the 2020 and 2021 plan years. The 2020 grace period is extended through December 31, 2021, and the 2021 grace period is extended through December 31, 2022.
- DCFSA participants with a qualifying dependent child who turned age 13 during the 2020 plan year may use any unused funds from that plan year for eligible expenses for that child until they turn age 14. To qualify for this relief you must be enrolled in a 2020 FSAFEDS DCFSA plan.
- The DCFSA election maximum has been increased to $10,500 (or $5,250 for married taxpayers filing separately). Existing DCFSA participants who wish to change their election must log in to their online account and adjust the number of pay periods.
- Hand sanitizing wipes with 60 percent or more alcohol base and face coverings have been approved as eligible over-the-counter expenses for HCFSA reimbursement.
Refer to the Consolidated Appropriations Act quick reference guide for more details, including how to enroll and effective dates of special enrollment period changes. For more information concerning flexible spending accounts, please visit www.fsafeds.com or call FSAFEDS at 877-372-3337.