They say giving is better than receiving and giving during the holidays can be especially rewarding. Whether it is already part of your holiday traditions or you want to start a new one, giving is a special activity that can bring your family together. With the spirit of generosity in the air, here are some ways you and your family can give back to those in your community:
- Grocery trip. Choose a local food bank and take your family on a special trip to the grocery store to buy items to donate. Buying groceries is more fun when you are helping someone in need.
- Treasure Hunt. Take a trip through your house to find items to donate to a homeless shelter, refugee resettlement organization, or to any other charity that helps those in need.
- Help the elderly. Help an elderly or physically limited neighbor or friend with a task around the house.
- Make cards. Start a pen pal relationship by sending cards to troops or nursing home residents in assisted living facilities.
- Participate in a fundraiser. Join a walk, race, or other fundraising event to raise money for charity.
There are so many opportunities to volunteer in every community during the holidays and throughout the year. AmeriCorps provides a database that is a great place to start your search.