Every year, nearly half of all Americans make at least one New Year’s resolution. One resolution to consider this year is to commit to volunteering. Volunteering makes the perfect New Year’s Resolution because it creates a trifecta of great outcomes: volunteerism benefits the community being served as well as the health and happiness of the volunteer.
Below are reasons to consider volunteering:
- Helping others is a rewarding and fulfilling experience.
- Volunteering can improve your health by reducing stress, increasing social interaction, and by helping you stay physically and mentally healthy.
- Serving those around you strengthens ties to your community.
- Expanding your activities provides opportunities to pursue your interests outside of work.
- Developing new skills can help you strengthen your existing skill set.
- Volunteering as a family is also a great way to spend time together.
Start 2022 with kindness and a giving spirit. If you are interested in finding ways to volunteer, the Americorps National Service website provides a search engine to connect you to volunteer opportunities in your community. It’s also not too late to sign up for volunteer hours with a specific charity through the Combined Federal Campaign.
If you volunteer in person, be sure to follow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s health and safety measures.