Staying hydrated is vital for overall health. Hydration supports your digestive system and metabolism, improves sleep quality, and prevents dehydration. Most of your hydration needs are met through the beverages you drink, so choosing a healthy option is key.
Plain water is the healthiest and fastest way to remain hydrated because it offers numerous health benefits. You can also get some of your daily hydration through foods with high water content, such as fruits and vegetables. Try to limit your consumption of sugary beverages with little nutritional value, like soda, sports drinks, energy drinks, and artificial fruit drinks.
Although plain water is the best way to hydrate, there are other healthy options that can make your beverages interesting and enjoyable. Here are some ways to help you stay hydrated.
- Add flavors. Occasionally adding berries or slices of lime, lemon, or cucumber to your water can enhance the flavor and nutrients.
- Make it fizzy. Drink sparking water and add a splash of your favorite 100 percent juice for a refreshing and nutritious drink.
- Mix it up with healthy alternatives. Try 100 percent vegetable or fruit juice, low fat or fat free milk, and fortified milk alternatives like oat, soy, or almond milk. These drinks contain important nutrients such as calcium, potassium, and vitamin D.
- Keep your hot beverages simple. Get back to the basics and enjoy the natural flavors of plain coffee or tea. If desired, add low fat, fat free milk, or milk alternatives. Try to limit or skip the addition of flavored syrups and whip cream to your coffee and teas.
- Read the nutrition facts label. When grocery shopping, use the nutrition label to choose drinks with minimal added sugar and saturated fat.
For additional resources and information about hydrating the healthy way, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Water and Healthier Drinks page. For more information on employee resources, please contact a DHS Work-Life Specialist at email@example.com.