With warm weather around the corner, volunteering is a great way to get outside and connect to your community. There are several ways that you can spring into action to support causes and organizations you care about. Consider some of these ideas to get outside and give back:
- Register for a charity run. Whether you prefer running short or long distances, there are ample running opportunities to raise money for a worthy cause while logging your miles. This is a great option if you are looking for ways to achieve your fitness goals while supporting a charitable organization.
- Help clean up your community. Connect with your local surroundings by spending the day cleaning local trails, waterways, or parks. Consider asking friends or family to help you.
- Help animals. Sign up to volunteer at a local animal shelter or host a donation drive to collect new and used pet supplies. Shelters are in constant need of pet supplies and helping hands.
- Start a gardening or beautification project. Get involved with a local community farm or create a new garden for your community. You can grow your own vegetables while helping keep your community green and beautiful.
- Support a park near you. Volunteer at a park to get outside and give back to the nature. The National Park Service has a wide range of outdoor volunteer activities, ranging from conducting tours to maintaining green areas or facilities.
For additional volunteer opportunities, visit the AmeriCorps website. Remember, small positive changes can make a big difference.
Your Employee Assistance Program is Here to Support
If you need additional assistance locating a volunteer opportunity, contact your Component’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP). For more information or for help in contacting your EAP, email firstname.lastname@example.org.