The Federal Protective Service (FPS) is the premier provider of security and law enforcement services at U.S. federal government facilities. FPS plays a leading role in the protection of our nation's critical infrastructure, with lead responsibility for ensuring a safe and secure working environment for federal workers and visitors in approximately 9,000 federal facilities nationwide.
FPS is a leader in physical security and law enforcement operations, and it embraces a forward-leaning, strategic approach to security centered on advance planning and preparedness.
- Conducting comprehensive security assessment of vulnerabilities at facilities
- Developing and implementing protective countermeasures, based on the latest risk management tools and technology
- Installing alarm systems, x-ray and magnetometer equipment, and entry control systems
- Monitoring systems at federal facilities for proper performance and security breaches
- Providing uniformed police response and investigative follow-up
- Contracting for security guard services
- Performing hazardous materials preparedness and response operations
- Managing K9 explosive detection operations
- Providing critical security services and logistical support at high-profile public events
- Coordinating vital emergency services and disaster response during and after natural disasters
- Engaging federal facility tenants through crime prevention seminars, facility security surveys, intelligence-gathering operations and more.
FPS Employment Offers:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Potential for career advancement
- Positions available at locations nationwide
- An opportunity to make a difference through public service
Join the FPS Team
FPS is comprised of a talented workforce of highly skilled law enforcement officers and mission support specialists.
Examples of FPS law enforcement careers*
Physical Security Specialist/Law Enforcement Security Officers (LESO)
As the backbone of the FPS workforce, LESOs are sworn law enforcement officers and trained security experts who provide security assessments, inspections, and oversight for contract guards, and respond to crimes in progress.
FPS Criminal Investigators are trained special agents who provide critical investigative follow-up response to criminal activity at federal facilities.
Examples of FPS opportunities for management professionals
Protective Security Officer Program Managers
FPS oversees approximately 15,000 Protective Security Officers, and requires professional managers with background in federal contracting, acquisition and program management.
Budget Analysts and Mission Support Specialists
FPS relies on a cadre of highly trained professional management and administrative specialists for a wide range of mission support services.
* Previous experience in law enforcement or security is not required for these positions. FPS law enforcement employees undergo rigorous training (including dealing with weapons of mass destruction, hazardous materials response and canine handling) at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Glynco, Ga.