Volunteers help the communities they serve, but did you know that volunteering can also help improve your own health and wellbeing? Some of the benefits of volunteering include:
- Making new friends and boosting your social connectedness,
- Making a positive impact in your community, and
- Being a part of something bigger than yourself.
There are many ways to volunteer and help your community. When searching for a volunteer opportunity, it can be helpful to ask yourself:
- Do I want to do something that is aligned with my skill set or try something completely different?
- Do I want to volunteer in person or remotely?
- Do I want a one-time engagement or a recurring volunteer opportunity?
Remember, small positive changes can make a big difference. To find a volunteer opportunity near you, visit the AmeriCorps website.
Your Employee Assistance Program is Here to Support
If you need additional assistance locating a volunteer opportunity, contact your Component Employee Assistance Program (EAP). EAP support is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. For more information or for help in contacting your EAP, write to your DHS Work-Life specialists at firstname.lastname@example.org.