Artificial Intelligence at DHS
Leading the responsible use of Artificial Intelligence
DHS plays a critical role in ensuring artificial intelligence (AI) safety and security nationwide. The Department uses AI responsibly to advance its homeland security mission while protecting the privacy and individual rights of the American public.
CBP Uses AI to Keep Fentanyl and Other Drugs Out of the Country
In 2023, a car driving north from Mexico approached the Point of Entry at San Ysidro. Almost immediately, one of U.S. Customs and Border Protection's (CBP) Machine Learning (ML) models identified a suspicious pattern in the car’s border crossing history and flagged it for further review, which revealed 75 kilograms of narcotics hidden in the vehicle and led to the arrest of the driver.
HSI Uses AI to Investigate Heinous Crimes
In August 2023, Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) announced the completion of one of the most successful operations ever against online child sexual abuse. Operation Renewed Hope resulted in the identification of 311 previously unknown victims of sexual exploitation in less than a month by using AI and ML models, developed in partnership with the Science and Technology Directorate, to enhance old images and give investigators new leads using facial recognition. The operation also led to the rescue of several abuse victims and the arrests of multiple suspected perpetrators, including one international criminal.
Secretary Mayorkas Speaks About AI at DHS
"We must address the many ways in which artificial intelligence will drastically alter the threat landscape and augment the arsenal of tools we process to succeed in the face of these threats. Our Department will lead in the responsible use of AI to secure the homeland and in defending against the malicious use of this transformational technology."
- Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro N. Mayorkas
Watch Secretary Mayorkas speak about the importance of AI at DHS in his 2023 State of the Homeland Address.
- November 26, 2023: DHS/CISA and UK NCSC Release Joint Guidelines for Secure AI System Development
- November 14, 2023: DHS Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency Releases Roadmap for Artificial Intelligence
- November 1, 2023: FACT SHEET: Vice President Harris Announces New U.S. Initiatives to Advance the Safe and Responsible Use of Artificial Intelligence | WhiteHouse.gov
- October 31, 2023: WHAT THEY ARE SAYING: President Biden Issues Executive Order on Safe, Secure, and Trustworthy Artificial Intelligence | WhiteHouse.gov
- October 30, 2023: Statement from Secretary Mayorkas on President Biden’s Executive Order on Artificial Intelligence
- October 30, 2023: FACT SHEET: Biden-Harris Administration Executive Order Directs DHS to Lead the Responsible Development of Artificial Intelligence
- October 30, 2023: Executive Order on the Safe, Secure, and Trustworthy Development and Use of Artificial Intelligence | WhiteHouse.gov
- October 30, 2023: FACT SHEET: President Biden Issues Executive Order on Safe, Secure, and Trustworthy Artificial Intelligence | WhiteHouse.gov
- September 15, 2023: Homeland Security Advisory Council Meets and Reports Findings on Artificial Intelligence (AI), Workforce Adaptation, and the Homeland Security Grant Program
- September 14, 2023: DHS Announces New Policies and Measures Promoting Responsible Use of Artificial Intelligence
- April 21, 2023: Secretary Mayorkas Announces New Measures to Tackle A.I., PRC Challenges at First State of Homeland Security Address