The Integrated Rapid Visual Screening is a quick and simple tool designed to determine initial or relative risk and resilience for buildings based on visual inspection only. The IRVS for Buildings categorizes 15 building types and addresses 20 hazardous events: internal (intrusion, blast and CBR); external blast and external chemical, biological, and radiological releases from 100, 300 and 1,000 feet; earthquakes (ground shaking and ground failure; floods (still water and velocity surge); wind (hurricane, tornado, and other wind events); landslide (rainfall and earthquakes); and fire (resulting from earthquakes, blast, or arson. The knowledge for calculating both risk and resilience is embedded in the tool. Major tool interactions are automatically calculated by pre-assigned weights, interaction logic, and context-based algorithms based on knowledge and tool validations. Risk is based primarily in target attractiveness (for manmade hazards).
For natural hazards, it uses probability of occurrence. Risk is a product of consequences multiplied by threats multiplied by vulnerabilities. Resilience is computed from a combination of robustness, resourcefulness, and recovery factors based on information such as hardening, training, and redundancies. Information obtained from the IRVS analysis can be used by law enforcement agencies, emergency managers, facility managers, engineers and architects to support higher-level assessments and mitigation measures.
IRVS Software Highlights
The software for the IRVS family of tools is now digital and includes integrated capabilities for mass transit, tunnels, and buildings in one software package. This facilitates data collection and functions as an effective data management tool. Assessors can use the software on a PC tablet or laptop to systematically collect, store, and report screening data. The software can be used during all phases of the IRVS process (pre-field, field, and post-field).
- Digital catalogue and forms
- Field data collection and storage
- Automatic risk scoring
- Printable reports
- Google Earth application
- BIPS 04 - Integrated Rapid Visual Screening of Buildings (PDF, 2 pages - 1.33 MB)
- BIPS 04 - Integrated Rapid Visual Screenings of Buildings (PDF, 313 pages - 41.99 MB)
- Chapter 1: Overview of the IVRS Methodology: Page 1:1
- Chapter 2: Introduction to the IVRS of Buildings: Page 2:1
- Chapter 3: Conducting an IVRS of Buildings: Page 3:1
- Chapter 4: Completing the Data Collection Form: Page 4:1
- Chapter 5: References: Page 5:1
- IRVS Software Database Package for those with no MS Access (ZIP, 258 MB)
- IRVS Software Database Package: MS Access 2010 (ZIP, 79 MB)
- IRVS Software Database Package: MS Access 2007 (ZIP, 79 MB)
If you would like a copy, please contact email@example.com.