The Department of Defense SkillBridge program is an opportunity for service members to gain valuable civilian work experience with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) during their last 180 days of service. SkillBridge connects service members with DHS Components in real-world job experiences.
SkillBridge is a great opportunity for transitioning service members to build their resumes, explore employment interests, and develop job skills that will help them prepare for their adjustment to the workplace. Separating service members must obtain approval from their current unit and be American citizens who are on active duty in the military. Service members must also fulfill the security clearance requirements set by the office where they intend to work. During SkillBridge participation, service members continue to receive military compensation and remain covered by military benefits.
- Interested service members should apply on the SkillBridge website.
- Any rank, enlisted or officer, may apply for SkillBridge.
- Approval to participate in the program is always mission-dependent and your unit Commander must authorize participation prior to entering into any agreement with DHS or any of its Components.
- DHS Hiring Managers interested in acquiring a SkillBridge participant should work with their Component veterans employment program manager and their human resources office to plan for participant outreach and recruitment.
- The SkillBridge Provider’s Handbook provides useful information on training plans, job description templates, and other program requirement forms.
Additional information is available in the SkillBridge Program Brochure and Frequently Asked Questions. If you require specific technical assistance, contact the Department of Defense SkillBridge Assistance Center.
Disclaimer: Veterans entitled to veteran preference that meet the criteria for non-competitive hiring authorities may be offered a non-competitive job offer upon completion of the program. However, SkillBridge intern participants are not entitled to a job simply by virtue of completing the SkillBridge program.